Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SV wheels/superlight suspension

BruceW

I'm going down to Caterham in a week or so to order my new car. I'm still picking the forum's collective brain-sorry.

Chewing through the options I've narrowed to 1.8k Roadsport or 1.6SV. Cost equal. Checking specs shows some little differences. The SV has the superlight suspension as standard but large wheels compared to the 1.8. I get the idea re reducing unsprung weight so why larger wheels, especially when the vibe on the forum is that the smaller ones give better handling feel?

The questions.

Is the superlight suspension worthwhile with its greater adjustability/wider track etc? I could go for this on the standard body car.

Would you spec an SV with a smaller wheel size?

Intending use is road-only.

Bruce

Bruce,

I've got 16" wheels on my SV...they look pretty good with the slightly larger car - 13" are supposed to handle better but look a bit out of proportion on the SV, IMHO. Can't speak for the technical side of smaller wheels yet, but I am getting a smaller set for track days to keep the weight down, etc. Also notice that the choice of fancy rubber appears a bit more restricted for 16" wheels and a little more expensive - but this may not matter if you're not doing track days.

15" might be a good compromise, probably depends on your own personal taste. Certainly for road work only, I doubt you would really find that wheel size makes a huge difference to the handling.

regards

fc

Bruce

One thing to bear in mind as well is whether you are going for 5 or 6 speed gearbox.

I have 16" wheels and 6 sp box but I can imagine it wouldn't be too comfortable on extended road journeys or motorway use (if you have to) with smaller wheels.

Ian - MI 5EVN - SV's do it longer *tongue*

I was going to but the 55 spd.

Just to turn this on its head, how 'worthwhile' is the suspension upgrade, it costs £900 approx as an option on a standard Roadsport and the SV is only just over £1000 more anyway! Is it a good value option on the standard car if it is intended for road use primarily.

Bruce

I don't remember the SV having the Adj. Platfoms as standard, but it does come with the wide track, and Watts linkagaes, as well as the F/R ARB's.

If you plan to use a K series engine then the 6spd box would be a good option (See earlier thread).

Paul,

Pop over on on sunday and have a look at the suspension on mine.

Regards,

Martin