Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

45 or 50 profile?

petefoster

POBC I am in need of wisdom, which of the scudo's should I fit to my 15" wheels 🤔 and probably more importantly why 🤔 🤔 🤔

195/45

195/50

205/50

to be used in anger in the sprint championship *evil* *evil* *evil*

I plan to live for ever...so far so good!!!

A 50 profile will give a bigger contact patch for the same tyre width. I've run both 45 and 50's and preferred the feel and grip of the taller tyre. Ken Evans used 45's to good effect on his Superlight 3 years ago, I tried them and switched back to 50's on my VX car.

Thanks Guys, just one final question, what about 205/50's on the rear and 195/45's on the front, any ideas what that may do for handling or ride comfort?

One concern is having moved from 175/55 13's I am thinking the 45's might be a tad firm and given I have tillets as well, the ride to europe in june could be a bit of a bone shaker but with the 205/50's on the rear this might improve comfort

The stats below show that the 205's won't fit under the front arches as I still have the 13/14" stays and wings but the 195/45's do, but the 205's should easily fit the rear arches.

I think I read somehere the slightly nose diving setup this would give may improve handling, but am not sure so would much appreciate any advice *confused*

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/km Difference

175/55-13 96mm 261mm 523mm 1642mm 609 0.0%

195/45-15 88mm 278mm 556mm 1748mm 572 6.5%

205/50-15 102mm 293mm 586mm 1841mm 543 12.1%

I plan to live for ever...so far so good!!!

• Area Representative

Hi Pete, more upgrades for class 1 I see 😬

WRT the tyres, I would stay on the same width all round to make things easy for switching tyres round if needs be. i have travelled to Europe several times with 195/50 ad 195/45 Stunner Scudos and both are absolutely fine with the tillets. Have you found a UK distributor for Stunners? I have asked at a couple of places and both said they were now unavailable here.

Cheers

Nick

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

205's on the rear and 195/50 on the front should be a nice balance, especially if you're wishing to use the car in competition.

I found a noticeable difference between 195's in 45 and 50 profiles, the 45's I felt gave up grip a little more suddenly that the 50's. Perhaps it was due to the extra weight of my car over a Superlight, but I had to change them mid season. There is a reasonable increase in contact patch between the two profiles, give Paul Smith at BMTR a ring for the full technical explanation.

Cheers

Dave

• Area Representative

Graham / Pete,

Thanks for the links *thumbup* but haven't these jumped in price ☹️ from previous years

Nick

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...