Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6K engine running on after switch off

Joseph Wenglorz

Have just purchased (a few weeks ago)a 1.6 K series super seven,and have experienced several times,engine running on,after switching off ignition (and removing key).Engine is a 1.6 Rover K series, 115 bhp 15,000 miles. My main concern is possible overheating, but can this occur,with the injection switched off?

It has been suggested to me that the problem could be due to a sticking relay in the engine management system. Does anyone have any knowledge, theories, or is this a 'characteristic' of K series engines - MEMS engine management systems ?

I was told that swithching off the ignition with the fan running results in the electric motor (fan) becoming a generator that keeps the ECU powered up for several seconds causing the engine to run on. It sounded plausible so I never pursued it any further 😬

Deeps *smile*

Deep down you know it makes sense. *idea*

Better still why not fit a fan over ride switch , so that you can then turn the fan on youself as soon as the engine goes above 80C on the gauge and prevent the engine getting to the auto fan cut in point , and then shut the the fan off before you turn the engine off .

dave

Mine does that too when the fan is running. Use it as an opportunity for the temps to come down a bit. Fan stops, then switch off the ignition. Then the engine won't run on.

(editied to clarify original meaning following Peter's post)

NN 😳

Lotus @ Herts

Edited by - No Nuts on 19 Aug 2002 09:34:07

It is all down to the wiring looms and it isn't a good thing. Think about it a bit more.

The ignition switch connects the main ignition circuits to the battery when you switch it on. It disconnects hem when you switch off. When the circuits are disconnected with the fan running, the fan's inductive load starts doing weird things (either generator or just a spike). This spike has nowhere to go because the circuit is disconnected from the battery. What voltage is the spike? You can bet it isn't 12 volts.

What you need is the same sort of arrangement as you get with a battery master switch. A separate pole on the ignition switch should sink the circuit to ground through a ballast resistor. With this arrangement the ignition would always cut as you flick the switch.

There is no extra 'cooling' benefit from the running on - the condition that has been generating the heat is that the engine has been running. This is sustained through the run-on period, so there is no benefit.

Peter *eek*Loadsachequestubs *eek* Carmichael

Hi Joeseph

I too have recently bought a 1600 SS and have experienced the same thing with mine, albeit mine has had substatial tuning done to it thus raising the output - this I thought might be the cause. However, recently using my external battery cutoff (being lazy - working under bonnet) the engine stopped immediatly so I concur with Peter and co that the fan generates some energy - you could always fit a battery cutoff!!

Gary

Gary Wheal - 170bhp K Series

To all who responded to my message,very many thanks. I was so concerned that my new' baby' wasn' t well,but having heard from all you other 'parents', I am happy that all is satisfactory.

In view of all the advice I have received, I have decided to give the fan time to switch off (It does seem to happen only when the engine is warm/at the end of a quick run) before turning the key and switching off.

I have recently bought my very first seven, which I had wanted for some time, and have to say I am besotted (an understatement)!. I joined the club just a few days ago, and am very impressed with the support from the club in general, having spoken to Barry Sweeney (Membership Secretary) and now having received such helpful advice from the other 'parents'.

Hope to meet many of you at area meetings etc,over the coming months, as I travel regularly between London and the west country.

Joe Wenglorz.( Newcomer and definite enthusiast ).

Welcome Joe, hope to see you around some time. Are you coming to Curborough this weekend?

I waited 17 years for my 7 (less time than many I know). I've said it before but it's the only thing I've owned that never disappoints.

😬

NN 😳

Lotus @ Herts

Edited by - No Nuts on 20 Aug 2002 08:26:03

To Nonuts,

Hi, Unfortunately I have family comitments this weekend, but in due course I hope to find out more about club activities.

For the time being I,m travelling between the west country and Heathrow (work) every week in the seven. It's great to enjoy driving again,and I have to admit to having taken a longer route home from work (only another 20 or 30 miles or so) just for the sheer enjoyment of driving a seven in the countryside.

I'm impressed with the fuel consumption (at better than 39 mpg)!,as if it mattered that much,but it is a bonus with the miles I'm currently clocking up.

Happy motoring.

Joe W.