Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What's the score with tinted visors?

Sgt Pepper

Blue Book just says minimum standard BS4110Z and visors must be clear or neutral density visors.

If it's bright I usually end up wearing sunglasses anyway and no-one has ever said anything.

Was looking at getting a visor for my Sparco Formula helmet and according to Demon Tweeks the 'tinted' and 'dark smoke' are BSI certified and the iridium ones are not (well, it doesn't say they are BSI Certified.)

Can anyone offer any advice on whether the 'tinted' or 'dark smoke' comply with the Blue Book?

Representing the Caterham division of the VSCC 😬

• Area Representative

Chris,

Whilst a dark visor may not be an issue at most sprints, on some of the hills (particularly Shelsley and Wiscombe), when you get into a shaded area, you may find you struggle to see!

I blank off the top of a clear visor so that I'm not dazzled by low sun, but can still see in the shaded areas.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought you were only supposed to be able to buy Black and irridium visors with a race Licence. so i dont see what the issue is !

I have been riding motorcycles for 25 years, if the sun is out i can not ride with a clear visor end of story

Mad Hatter Racing - Feel The Duralight R Torque 😬 Carl @ Penn 7's *thumbup*