Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel pump

z7

• Area Representative

Hi all,

I want to move my Facet cylindrical fuel pump from the engine bay to the rear, near the fuel tank.

It looks fairly straightforward but a few queries:

1 - the biggest issue I think will be getting the electrical connection to the rear. Is there a supply already at the rear that I could use?

2 - I have a Filter King fuel regulator like here. I think I read that it is better to leave this positioned close to the carbs. Is this correct?

3 - does anyone have any photo's of their installation?

4 - any other issues I should consider?

TIA.

Adil

Edited by - adil on 24 Mar 2010 22:38:49

year/engine?

certainly early 90s onwards had a fuel pump wire in the loom to the rear (green from memory) which is fused at the main fuse block. The pump is normally mounted vertically on anti-vibration bobbins on the back of the rear bulkhead below the level of the boot floor. Better to leave the regulator/filter at the front so that constant pressure is maintained at the carbs, where it matters.

Adil

1. Mine (1993 ish X Flow) did not have a live in the loom, so I ran one from the ignition via an in line fuse through the top of the tunnel. I used an earth from the fuel tank sender.

2. Yes leave it near the carbs.

3. I mounted my regulator HERE

4. I mounted the pump on rubber bobbins on the outside of the bulkhead behind the passenger seat.

Guy

Now with ZETEC power HERE

As yours is a live axle car Adil, it won't already have wiring for a fuel pump near the tank. I believe I'm right in saying that none of the LA cars were ever produced from the factory as a separate model with fuel injected engines requiring a tank mounted pump.

Certainly my '97 live axle car didn't have such wiring and so, like Guy, I ran a separate fused feed through the tunnel when I fitted TB's to the Zetec.

I changed my facet pump as it started to make a horrible noise (didn't have an in-line filter either).

Some pics here of old and new.

I mounted the new pump and in-line filter (where the old one was) on the rear of the passenger bulkhead. New pump is quieter than the facet.

I also have a fuel regulator which is mounted just before the carbs.

Cheers,

Andy

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car - Now all shiney and new 😬

*arrowup*Ditto to wiring, ran through the tunnel. Not relayed, but it is fused. I found the easiest way of getting a switched supply to both the front of the car (fan override) and pump at the rear was to use position 1 on the ignition key, run it up to a 4 way fuse box under the dash, and then out from there.

I put the pump bobbined off the rear ali shelf, with an earth point on the shelf, then to the tank, and then off to the loom. Pump is under the shelf rather than directly attached behind the passenger seat so I didn't have to hack bolt holes in the bench seat. Also added an inline filter prior to the pump that can be easily changed just by lifting the boot panel. Pressure regulator is right next to the carbs.

There are plenty of earths, so you don't need to run one of them. As an aside, check the earth on the tank too, as the mounting material (lots of sponge strip) was effectively isolating the tank, hence all the earth points I ended up using, and the pump failed to work 1st time. I always wondered why the sender had a mind of its own; the fuel gauge still flaps around, but it's less erratic since an earth was sorted out.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

• Area Representative

Thanks for all the replies. *thumbup*

Though mentioned above, for completeness: it's a 1999/2000 chassis, live axle, with Zetec, and 45 DCOEs. It was a CDK (?) order, with the engine sourced separately. So, I don't know what loom may have been specified. I'm guessing X/flow *confused*

Andy, what pump did you use to replace your Facet?

• Area Representative

Thanks, Andy. *thumbup*

I may use one of those, too. I've had a number of (mostly Facet) pump failures. I'm hoping the move to the rear will fix this problem for me.

Cheers,

Adil