Click here if you are having website access problems ×

PRRT, Heater and Laminova

Paul Richards

• Area Representative

I'm planning to fit a pressure relief remote thermostat (the Freelander one) as part of my K series rebuild, but I'm finding little space to fit it all in, whilst retaining my heater and Laminova.

I planned to fit the PRRT in the bottom hose close to radiator. I also planned to fit the laminova in the bottom hose along with a small T piece to take the place of the metal submarine pipe which takes the pipe to the bottom of the expansion tank, but the whole lot needs about 26 inches of space in the bottom hose.

Has anybody else managed to fit all this in and if so how did you do it?

Any suggestions appreciated.

P.S. I've also got an anti-cavitation tank which takes up space.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

• Leadership Team

Paul, why not keep the Laminova in the top hose? Even with the PRRT setup, surely the top hose will get warmer earlier. For your use, I think the heating effect from the Laminova at low engine temperatures is more relevant than the cooling effect?

Stu.

Paul

I've done it with an Apollo tank, and it fits in OK but I don't have a heater so am one connection less. I connected my header tank to the small "origional" thermostat housing take off point - could you do the same and put a tee piece in the header pipe for the heater?

Stu, I wanted it in the return from the PRRT TO give me stability in cooling as in theory the stat will give a controlled temp the oil will also get early heating as during the warm up cycle the PRRT will be in bypass mod.

Paul M

When I get round to it, I'll be making a bespoke end to the laminova - ie weld a bespoke tee with the right angle of dangle/curve to a new end plate to link up more nciely to the top hose. Makes the connection easier and also removes two hose connections/possible leaks.

Bri

• Area Representative

All

Thanks for your responses.

Neil YHM back.

Stu - thanks for the call I'll look at the Samco site for a 32/32 Tee.

Paul - Your solution has possibilities. Just one thing - If I have it correct, in the original configuration the heater take off from the thermostat housing is before the thermostat and the feed to the bottom of the header tank is from the submarine pipe i.e. after the thermostat. If I understand correctly when you (and others) have fitted a PRRT you take the heater take off direct to the header tank therefore cutting out the thermostat. From what you say this works ok. Therefore I could perhaps try your suggestion of inserting a Tee into this pipe.

I was expectint to have to put a Tee (to header tank) in the bottom hose between the PRRT and the rad, but it now seems not.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional