Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anyone know who offers Ford Sigma engine upgrades?

The Pikey

I have a Sigma 125 and NEED more power *wink*

I remember a company was on about getting 200 bhp from the Sigma but can't remember who they were.. I don't think I'd spend the money getting 200bhp out of this 125bhp engine but somewhere in between would be nice.

thanks

Jason

It's worth reading this thread, esp jchasey's experience. The Sigma doesn't seem to be a hugely tuneable engine, which is one of the reasons we specced the duratec. Another company giving it a bash is Protune, but they don't say how they got on anywhere on their site.

Seeing as how there's not much action in Sigma tuning you're likely to be encountering the law of diminishing returns once you get beyond CC's own upgrade and money may be better spent trading up to a duratec car.

It's certainly worth seeing how the tuners are getting on though, it may be a different story this year compared to last.

Martyn

R300GRR back home!! Reg inspection on 29th

Yes I wasn't too happy with Ministers 'upgrade'... 😔 (instead of going from 102 to 160bhp that they claimed, they only got it to 130 - all of this measured on their own kit). It appears that the Minister upgrade is very similar if not identical to the Caterham one.

I havn't done any work on the engine this winter (instead went for LSD, new shocks, brakes) but plan to for next year.

There are relatively few companies with lots of Sigma experience although it seems a number have projects in progress on the engine:

Shawspeed appear to have the most experience power and claim to have reached the best figures (up to 210bhp)

Protune are offering it and I plan to check them out (much closer than Shawspeed)

Webcon in Sunbury also have carried out an upgrade, getting to 150bhp from the 110bhp starting point on a friends car, although this includes a new ECU and the wiring loom is a bit of a mess at the moment and still a work in progress.

Would be very interested in other peoples research and experiences on this front.

John

I spoke to Minster today and I was not too impressed but maybe the guy was being honest..He told me that to get to 160 bhp I'd need to fit a set of T.B's and cams which I guessed but then went on to say the complete exhaust would also need changing. Even at that point they would not guarantee results near the 160 and based on jchasey's experience I think I'll give them a miss at the moment. Currently the CC upgrade is favorate but I'll keep looking what else is available.

Jason

But would 150ish BHP satisfy your quest for performance ? In the long run wouldn't it make more sense to sell the Sigma (get back what you paid for it no doubt) and, since you came from a BEC, maybe get something like this

If you didn't want another BEC then maybe look at a DVA'd K series or Duratec, where circa 200BHP is more easily achieved.

John

Maybe I'll keep this one for the summer and build something over the wet months. Won't be a BEC though, more likely to be a R400.

Jason, do you want to sell the R400 you havent built yet 🤔 😬

• Area Representative

I haven't talked to Rob Morley about the Sigma in particular but he talks in the same terms as the Shawspeed webpage on his site here

A close-up of the actual installation.

Pro-tune is Rob's engine building company and Ratrace the servicing/repair company.

Well worth calling. 01707 645040

However, it is not like DVA who has a nicely thought out set of packages, Rob will ask you what you are thinking about and how you use the car, then suggest work to suit your needs and your budget. (These are not always compatible! *tongue*)

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 7 Apr 2010 13:37:01

Thanks for the heads up on that *thumbup* Interesting, although they don't quote any bhp or torque figures for the super sport sigma but I would assume it will fit between the 125 & 150.

A lot cheaper than going for the 150 but then again it retains the same single throttle body & the cams are left unchanged.

edit to say... I wonder how much thirstier the engine will be with the larger fuel injectors *confused*

Edited by - Martin Jeffrey on 2 Apr 2010 20:48:47

• Area Representative

One thing to remember is that the engine out of the Puma has better crank and rods than the standard Sigma engine (as well as a little more capacity). But I guess these are some of the bits which would need changing.

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.