Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cleaning aluminium

Billy 42

Can anyone tell me the best way / product to use to clean the ali panels on my C7. Clearly I don't want too much reflection from the bonnet whilst driving, but also don't want the flies, oil and general road grime. At the moment I am using plain old water and WD40 once dry, but need something to shift those stuborn stains!!

Great blat weather

I use Autosol for cleaning the non-ali metalwork on my 7, but I don't think they recommend it for aluminium. IIRC, they do a cleaner specfically designed for mirror finish surfaces.

Maybe worth a look in Halfords? Don't Autoglym also do a metal cleaner? Don't know if that is any good on ali surfaces as I've never used it...

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Can highly recommend the Vienna Lime. I had my Ali car a dozen years before discovering about the lime here on Blatchat. I wish I had found it sooner as it is really easy for getting the little bits of Black residue off. Works a treat.

Also have tried all the main polishes, and prefer Belgom Alu. Use the search facility and you will find plenty of references to both products

Where do I get Vienna Lime (I normally wash the car after polishing to remove the residue!).

Billy, note that with Belgom (the best and easiest option for polishing Ali I reckon) you will end up with one helluva shine so this may not be the way you want to go.

Graham

Could you drop me some details on that gearbox chap please?

Ta

Guy

NN 😳

Lotus @ Herts

Edited by - No Nuts on 19 Aug 2002 15:33:26