Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil splattered back end!

Steve Jones

After a great blat with the Herts crew made nerve wracking only by the insistent noise from behind, I ran the car up the trailer ramps when I got home to see if I could work out what the rat-tat-tat sound was. Looks like it was indeed the brake cable hitting the driveshaft where it inserts into the diff. I'll find out on the next run. But of more concern is the fact that it had slipped because on that drivers side only there was loads of grease/oil splattered on the walls and frame. . Noticeably only on one side which suggests to me that the diff is leaking from that driveshaft access point. I'd be interested to know what people think this is most likely to be.....

Steve

Guaranteed banal profundities

If it's black gungy goo then it's grease out of a CV joint which has split.

If you are getting a knocking noise from the rear DO check before you go out that one end of the anti roll bar has not sheared. This and the drop link can flap around before being propelled by the wheel through the fuel tank.

Do you have a oil catch tank? if so check it isnt full, mine gets oily underneath when tank is full and starts throwing it out of the catch tank overflow pipe and all underneath the floor of the car. stops when catchtank drained.

Trotsky N7 HPC Clams and Brooklands

Give it a sniff that'll tell you whether it's grease from the CV joint or oil from the diff. If it's oil from the diff - you need to know if it's coming out of the oil seal or from the breather - and if the diff has been way down on oil for ages, maybe it's mangled and that's what the tapping was. Is it possible to put it up on stands and then turn the propshaft by hand to see if it still makes the nasty noises?

If nasty noises are gone, clean up the spillage, top the diff up with oil, fit a catch tank and then drive for a bit.

C

back here because I want to be.