Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec Crankcase Breather

David Mirylees

My 2.0L Zetec has started to chuck out bad fumes into the cockpit recently.

As my 7 was one of the first 2.0L conversions, the breather was probably not set-up by me very well/correctly when I did the installation and now that the beastie is getting rather ancient the breather is probably working harder.

Now that the Zetec has been used in a lot of 7's, can anybody throw light on the best method of the crankcase breathing pipework/system?

TIA

David

Pic Here of my installation. The breather from the cam cover and the breather from the crankcase breather (a black slab that is bolted to the side of the block) are both fed into a catch tank (white plastic bottle) at the bottom of the image. From this a 3rd pipe then turns 90° and exits the bottom of the car.

Thus, as the engine breaths, any fumes exiting from the catch bottle go out the bottom of the car.

you can see the crackcase breather thing slightly more in this picture

Phil Waters

Hi, it's a Ford item, but it came separate to the engine when I got it all from Raceline so I'm not sure if it is standard on a 2.0lt or if it has been taken from another variant (like the 1.8 - like the water pump).

Try talking to Chris at Raceline (01483 811978 - sad that I remember that number!!) or if they can't remember, give me a shout via email and I'll get the part number off of it tomorrow evening.

Phil Waters

Just dug out an old price-list and on their 'kit' engines it lists a "Large capacity breather box" as included, but I can't find it listed as an individual item.

Anyway, as you sure you need it? How is your current set-up differing from mine? Do you have a catch tank and where does it vent to?

Phil Waters

My breather valve unit appears to be smaller, grey steel and consists of a trapezoidal plate with a block behind into which there is a pipe (and presumably valve) pushed into it.

I have no catch tank. The pipes from the valve and the cam-cover join via a 'Y' piece and 'exhaust' into the rearmost K&N filter on the carbs.

Well I guess you have 2 choices:

a) re-route your current set-up into a bottle (can be an old milk or coke bottle for test purposes) and take a pipe out of the top to vent out under the car, like mine does. Got for a test blat.

b) Get hold of the large breather box and mimic the standard install.

Personally, I'd got for a) to begin with as it is a lot cheaper - you just need an old bottle and some 8mm fuel hose.

I've checked my breather box tonight and it is just stamped with the Ford logo and what looks like DOJ2A but it isn't terribly clear. My memory is fading a bit now (it was 9 years ago) but I think it was a Motocraft box that it came in.

Phil Waters

I'm thinking that, regardless, the system with the plastic bottle and routing to the underside is a far better way to go!

I tried my local Halfords and Autobitz for the plastic bottle earlier today but , unlike years ago, they don't stock them.................

Last question - where did you get yours from?

Many thanks for the help.

david

Mine is actually identical to the overflow coolant tank that came with my car when it was a x/flow - so it mounts on a tapered bracket.

Raceline supplied it, but it is still on the Caterham website here - even after all these years *thumbup*

The elbow thing you can see in the bigger pic is what turns the pipe by 90° so it can exit down under the car. You need to make a hole for it and the 2 pipes from the engine - big drill and then tidy up with a sharp knife.

Phil Waters

Steve, You're beast has changed somewhat since I last saw it!!

Does the K&N actually kill the 'bad stuff'?

I have the bottle now on order as my 'system' needs tidying up anyway. It'll make a change as (as you know) my 7 has been everyday transport for years and my engine compartment looks like a farmyard tractor - especially compared to you chaps 7's.

Thks for the help.

david

My Raceline Zetec uses the Caterham oil catch tank... but doesn't have a cap. I've just realised that it probably should have one so that the fumes go down the breather pipe and under the car *redface* 😔

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)