Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ital axle oil

Dirty Den

Hi -

I might be needing to topup the oil level in my live axle. The owners guide says to use EP90 gear oil. I assume that I can use any EP90 gear oil, or are there any preferred ones that I should be using?

I was most probably going to get an EP90 oil from my local auto factors, so it's likely it would end up being a Comma oil.

TIA

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Sure someone will disagree, but I still add about a 1/4L to my axle and that is for the road only. I would add another 1/4 - 1/2L if I were taking it on track.

The cornering forces the 7 can generate is far more than it was designed for so long term sustained corning (long bends or airfield) will see most of the oil going down the tubes away from the diff - not good!

It does however, mean that it leaks more - but then mine always has *smile*

Dennis - get out and test that axle - I know it is raining, but I want to know if I diagnosed it correctly!

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running *wink*

Edited by - philwaters on 19 Aug 2002 08:32:15

How do you get the extra oil in?

I have been checking mine by lifting the back of the car as high as I can (about 2 feet off ground) - which will bring the level up a little more than checking on the flat. It's not an extra half litre though.

A syringe full of oil into the breather ? or somehow tip it down the axle tube with one side raised and the half shaft pulled out?

Jonathan

I remove the little white plastic breather thingy (technical term!) and then use a small funnel. Remember to fit the normal filler plug as soon as oil starts coming out, and then make a note of how much you are adding. It is fairly slow as the air has to escape via the same hole. You can add tubing with some tape in order to get the funnel to fit the hole if necessary.

Also worth lifting the funnel out slightly to allow air out around it while the oil drips down the middle. Obviously the wheel on the drivers side has to come off to allow access, and it is worth making sure you lower the jack back down to get the car level again to get the filler plug in the right angle, otherwise you will add loads more than you need to!

1. Jack up car and remove drivers wheel.

2. Lower car on jack to it's normal height (measure chassis first!)

3. Remove filler plug and breather thingy (that term again!)

4. Slowly fill axle with oil until some come out of the filler hole.

5. Check oil level in bottle.

6. Re-fit the filler plug/Screw

7. Continue filling with oil (even more slowly due to lack of air escape) checking amount in oil at regular frequent intervals.

8. Re-fit breather and wheel and lower.

9. Go for blast safe in the knowlage that the axle is happy, also to avoid smell of EP90 oil *wink*

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running *wink*

Could be worth putting some Telfon additive in there as well. I'm afraid I don't exactly know what it is exactly as someone else has always done it for me, but something like Slick50. Anyone out there know? My first diff (without additive) lasted 6 months; second diff (with...) is still going after 3 years.

Graeme - when you say that your diff only lasted 6 months, what were the signs that it was on its' way out?

I'm not too sure about oil additives etc, especially after reading what is said about them in the engine oil bible. *mad* I'd personally rather do more frequent oil changes/use a better oil than stick that stuff anywhere near my engine - so I'm weary of putting anything like that in my axle...

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

I went through this agony a few months ago having spent loads of money on a new quaiffe LSD. In the end I phoned Quaiffe and they recommended Redline synthetic oil.

Phil Stewart (road and race transmissions) recommended ZX1 additive, but in the end I didn't put any in for much the same reasons Den mentioned. He recommended it because it would remain protecting the diff even if all the oil was thrown away from it under cornering loads. This does seem to be a completely different scenario to an engine oil additive and sounds more valid.

Any lubrication gurus care to comment?

Jim.

Signs my diff was on the way out? The small matter that is was whining so loudy the car was undriveable without a helmet and earplugs...! It is a race car so has a harder life than most. I'll try and find out what additive is in there.

"do more frequent oil changes" - does anyone change the oil in their diff regularly...?

Edited by - Graeme Smith on 19 Aug 2002 16:00:09