Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help !!! Top front spring/damper bolts !!!!

I can unscrew the top spring damper bolt, until the thread of the bolt comes free from the thread in the chassis. Then the bolt just spins freely, but I can't pull it out !

On one side I can pull/push the bolt backwards and forwards by 10mm or so, but it won't come out of the hole no matter how hard I pull/wiggle it !

I have tried a small open-ended spanner on the shank of the bolt and pulled outwards while I turn the bolt head with a spanner (Thanks Richard), but it won't come out any further.

I am assuming the thread of the bolt won't start in the outermost bracket ?

Don't think it can be seized in the bush in the end of the damper, as it will push some 10mm backwards and forwards.

Are there any tricks to getting these bolts out, as I am beginning to despair !

Thank you.

Also bear in mind that once the bolt is free of the captive rotating it will cause it to gently tap the inside of the aluminium spacer, especially if the spacer is smooth enough to rotate inside the damper bush. I turn, this impromtu thread grips the bolt!

So, make sure you only apply a pull to the bolt, no turning. Also, make sure you can start to feel a little looseness or wobble to the bolt before trying to pull on it.

Martyn

R300GRR back home!! Reg inspection on 29th

If you get the bottom damper mount out, get someone to wiggle the damper unit from side to side (opening the flanges a little) as you manipulate the bolt. We did the reverse of this to get it in and the wiggle in the top mounting helped drift it along.

Hi Ian i could come up tomorrow afternoon as per my text this morning, if you need an extra pair of hands? have got mole grips if you need some?....just a thought though, is it not worth heating the bolt up then cooling it quickly to remove it...

*wavey*

K8 ERM 160 VVC

CATERHAM GALLERY

here

Remove the bottom bolt from the damper first then from inside the engine bay put the blade of a large screwdriver behind the top bolt head and tap gently with a soft hammer. Did it yesterday ........ and it worked. *wavey*

PS be carefull not to loose the washers when the bolt flies out!

• 2 weeks later...