Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice on clutch and CRB

regroo

Hi,

My SLR engine is coming out tonight and this time around I am planning on changing the clutch and CRB. I have the earlier clutch arm/bearing which I was told was stronger by the guys who refurbed the gbox last year. Its more a case of changing becuase the engine is out than for any particular reason although I have no idea of the age of either of the parts and want to protect against future failure.

What is the current thinking on the CRB/Clutch of choice these days for a 220HP K?

Thanks *thumbup*

Regroo, did you read the article in this months Low Flying about an uprated CRB option from Burton Power. It's not quite that straightforward but if you have access to a local engineering shop it might be of interest.

I am not sure about clutch, particularly bearing in mind my current woes with clutches but I am using the Caterham uprated (AP) cover and plate.

Will be interested to see other responses as I have just upgraded to a 200BHP K.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

• Support Team

Current AP clutch from CC is fine. Uprated CRB as per lowflying article seems to work although I've only had mine in a few months so I cant comment on longevity.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Graham

You say not that straighforward - I'm just about to change mine and was thinking of going down the route of the Burton unit. Are there some pitfalls not highlighted in the LF Artice?

Steve

SPW, sorry I could probably have worded it better what I really meant that it is not a simply buy and fit solution, it does require access to a local engineering facility. I don't know enough about the solution to be able to comment on it directly.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

what I really meant that it is not a simply buy and fit solution, it does require access to a local engineering facility.

When I got mine from Burton (this was 6 years ago mind and before I had a lathe *smile*) they got it machined next door for me - cost was negligible. Maybe they will still do this, even if via mail order . . worth calling them.

IMHO, provided you ensure that the CRB is properly pre-loaded, you shouldn't suffer any problems using the bog-standard item. The March LF article by Michael Calvert graciously mentioned a previous article of mine from 2004. Try a TechTalk search on "CRB and pre-load" for acres of info. BM me if you'd like a copy of my 2004 article.

JV

Steve, YHM.

I don't know whether the Burton CRB requires a pre-load (but out of interest I've just emailed them, so I'll post their answer when I get it). Assuming the construction is similar to the INA/SKF items used by CC (that is, a metal contact face running on a ball race in a sea of high-melting point grease), I'd expect the answer to be yes. For info, the INA item requires a pre-load of 80-120N. I'm told that the SKF item requires around 50N.

JV

I have used the Burton CRB for the past 4 years and it does not require any additional pre-load apart from that already in place with the standard Caterham set up. The main advantage is the carrier is ally and not nylon/plastic so it will not separate from the bearing.

Mark D

• 2 months later...

An update....

After a lot of chasing, I got a reply (below, verbatim) from Burton Power, though not a very helpful or illuminating one:

I have made numerous calls to our suppliers about this, they have final come back with they are unable to give any technical details about this bearing.

The only thing I can suggest is contacting one of the main roller bearing manufactures and seeing if they have a bearing of similar spec that they can give you details of.

Sorry I am unable to provide any technical assistance.

Given that the design principle of all these CRBs (Burton, SKF, INA) seems to be the same (grease-packed ball-race carrying a pressure plate), I imagine that some degree of pre-load is essential.

JV

FYI there are different clutch forks, as I learned last year. 1.4, 1.6K's have a lighter weight fork (i.e. thinner) and VHPD's came with an uprated fork. I learned this after my CRB and plate self destructed on a blat near Sydney and I had a 80 mile recover from the Bush.

Plate, cover, CRB I'd already ordered from Dartford to Oz, when I was doing an overall cleanup. Matey was over helping and he picked up my clutch fork and said WTF?

Front 1

Front 2

Back 1

Back 2

I called Dartford and their view was VHPD's have a higher duty cycle and what I emailed them was not that unusual, so I bought another as the car was 6 years on the fork at that point.

New one was improved from the previous one above, so you gets what you gets...

my current opinion is to consider these CRAs as service replacement items (about £80) - and at the very least regular inspection if the engine often comes out. I had no idea the higher frequency of failure until last year. This is dry sumped K series engines such as my R 500. Looks like this here

In the picture, the greater arching is of the old damaged item, literally bent out of shape (also cracked).

My recovery was hundreds of miles - though no kangaroos sighted in France.

Anthony

Edited by - anthonym on 19 Jun 2010 12:05:09

• 2 weeks later...