Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lsd in a Caterham

eric

Put an LSD in my Ital live axle some time back - first time I overtook at power the difference was amazing - shot past the other car like never before...

Never realized the loss of power due to one wheel lifting while taking on such maneuvers.

Best addition I've made to the 7 😬

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

Co-founder of the BOG Club

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

I added an LSD to mine years ago. One of the best upgrades I have done both for road and track. I see no disadvantages apart from being lighter in the pocket.

Mine is a Quafe ATB so perhaps not as extreme as some (plate types), but it works brilliantly.

No regrets. Do it!

One of the Duratectives

Likewise - Quaife ATB *thumbup* in an Ital axle.

Makes a massive difference to controllability at the limit on the track.

Greater traction and more choices re: exit angle on the road. *rolleyes*

No understeer issues with the ATB. quite the opposite in fact as you can now control oversteer on power rather than flinging it in and relying on roll oversteer which can bite beyond a certain point - all on track of course.

Some people on here seem to have a downer on the ATB for some reason but it has performed brilliantly for me and is completely silent to boot. *smile*

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

Some people on here seem to have a downer on the ATB for some reason but it has performed brilliantly for me and is completely silent to boot

It's not that people have a downer on it . . . it's just that there are a lot of really anal people on here to whom the fact that an Automatic Torque Biasing differential is not a Limited Slip Differential is a big issue . . . that's all *wink*

Not long put a Quaife ATB in mine. Although i have only driven the car a few times it seems to be so much better than the previous open diff.

Theres some nasty bumps over the top of a local common where the car would skip about scrabbling for grip. Putting the Quaife in and it seems now that the car drives straight on through if that makes sense. So much smoother. I'm guessing that the ATB is working overtime compensating for all thoughs bumps and troughs where as the open diff the wheels would be spinning every which way.

Looking forward to the Dunsfold handling day 😬

Gordon.

Morgan LeMans62

If I undestand well, we can put in a std diff a LSD

I think we were obliged to change the open diff for an LSD

I read that there are some differents diff we can put in

caterham is one, AP suretrac and Quaife are others

At the limit, a LSD cancels the action of the diff and the oversteer happens

but with a possible throttle control

At high speed without a LSD, all the power goes off through the spinning inside wheel

and a low speed there is no difference between with and without.

So there is more traction with.

Normally on the road, at average speed the 7 is more agile without LSD

In wet condition : without is more secure, with will need some more driving experience but with it the car will be more efficient.

Do I make mistakes ?

Eric - sort of - and depends 😬

I wouldn't think about speed so much as the relative traction available / amount of power you are trying to apply.

With an ATB fitted I found no reduction in agility compared to an open diff.

An ATB continuously varies the amount of torque applied to each wheel, whereas a 'normal' LSD is effectively open until the difference in spin between each wheel reaches a certain point, then it 'locks' the diff.

My experience is that you need to be a little more careful in the wet when applying the power as you more likely to end up sideways with an LSD.

Hope this helps!

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

Bob Stark I have found exactly the opposite. In the wet I find that I have a lot more grip in that the LSdiff locks and keeps the power delivery to both driven wheels. As oversteer increases its then easier to keep control of the car by steering into the slide and the carefull control of the throttle. In the dry its much the same but at higher speeds.

Rob

Rob

I assume that an ATB is less prone to loss of control in the wet on the road than a full LSD (Titan) etc due to it's more gradual power delivery ?

I have been going to put an LSD in mine for ages but keep changing my mind which one to fit (ATB/Titan), mainly road use, cost is not the issue but for me i see more advantages with the ATB ie quieter in use, less on/off characteristics, smoother power delivery for wet road situations (and an ability to do donuts - although I understand not quite as well as a Titan !)

I understand the Titan is noisier in normal operation (ie road, roundabouts etc) but better suited to track (kerb hopping etc) use.

Feel free to contradict if my assesment is incorrect !

Steve

Now with DVA Power! 191bhp and 150.9 lbft torque.

My Pictures

Steve

The ATB is not a true LSD and requires some torque appied to both wheels to function. I have had a ZF diff fitted to my car for years and do not find that it is any more of a problem to live with than an open diff. The main problem that I have is noise from the diff when it gets hot and this is due to the serria diff casing being made from aluminium and the crown wheel and pinion made out of steel( a different coefficient of expansion). When the whole lot gets hot the diff casing expands and the mesh between the gears changes also the oil gets thinner and the noise increases. Now this applies to any diff in the caterham install be it an LSD or open diff.

BTW I understand the Titan LSD is a plate diff and operates the same as the ZF, CC now install the Titan as the ZF is no longer available. I would fit the Titan Diff or TranX If I were shopping.

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 20 Mar 2010 15:26:43