Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Cycle Wings

R18 OOC

do you want to replace them with more cycle wings *thumbup* or flared wings *thumbdown*?

cycle wings are "meant" to be screwed on, but bonded it better looking. its a bir tricky to do properly with several cases of them coming off at speed. generally one of the sikaflex or tigerseal compunds is usd but its VITAL to get very good contact. miraz and I use these rather nifty fasteners that help a lot and give a much better join as well as being invisible.

If we prod iraz enough he may take pictures of the spare fastener he has...

I'm working on getting ratrace to get a load in so we can have an easy supply as its difficult getting them 4 at a time.

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

I realize that "we" in the states are not as experienced in the fitting of cycle wings....but I installed a new set this year..in the spring..using

Dow Corning 995 Silicon structural Adhesive.

this works great..and I have put 1000 or better miles on my car this year..including the Sevens at the Summit...and these wings are NOT COMING OFF...

Just my experience

Tony V

http://www.lotusowners.com

Preparation..well...

I removed the wheels....after figuring where I wanted the wings postioned.

I sanded the metal....and then just put a few thick beads of the Dow adhesive on the the metal..

I then postioned the wings using small clamps on one of the posts to hold the wing from sliding down...I just used it as a stop...

I then checked if I needed more sealant...to fill the gap between the metal stays..and the wing....and if I did i just squirted it in...very simple..and not that much prep.

the wings were new..so I did not clean them..

I takes about 2 hours to set up...a few days to almost dry...and 7 days to dry completely...

I honestly think I could almost pick up the car with the wings...it is that strong...

Cheers for the advice guys,

I would prefer to secure the cycle wings without any fasteners coming through, so not as to spoil the appearance.

Hoopy, how do these 'invisible' fasteners work ?

Also removing the wings....is it a mater of hacking away with a chisel or is there any particular releasing agent that I can apply ?

Also, the current wings look a bit on the large side.

If I repace them with ones to suit the 13" wheels, will I need to replace the 'metal stays', or does one sizeof 'stay' fit all cycle wings ?

I have not had to remove these wings yet...but I suppose that I will have to cut them off some day....

As far as how they mount....they just stick on...

I guess at this point they are disposible....(spelling)....I will just replace them with new ones...after I cut off the adhesive...

I am running 14" wings on my 15" tires...so I have never gone the way you are going. Don't know if you need to replace anything. I also run 14 " tires as well...so I compromised on the wing size.

I bonded my cycle wings on from new using no special tricks. Just the cheapest black gunk you can buy from any windscreen repair/replacement company in the Yellow Pages. It was £7.50 and comes in a mastik tube so you'll need a gun.

I had heard of a few failures prior to attempting this, where people attributed their failure with the powder coating coming off the wing stay, so I sanded my powder coating off altogether. Then using the gunk I built up a bridge of the gunk over the wing stay ensuring plenty of spread over the inside of the wing.

The gunk sets hard, rather like tyre-rubber. If the wing was strong enough, you could pick the car up by holding onto the wing.

Then, about 2 years later I crashed the car. The wing stay bent and the wing cracked, but the gunk didn't let go. The wings stayed on for another 500 miles until I removed them with a Stanley knife (cut the gunk away) and this is what I observed...

1. Water had found its way between the gunk and my powder coat-free wing stay, where rust had set in. The adhesive qualities of the gunk was compromised. I think this could have been a mode of failure, except...

2. The gunk was still firmly attached to the wing. The bridge of gunk over the wingstay was holding the wing onto the stay (mechanical grip), NOT any adhesive properties between the gunk and the stay (as described above).

There is another mode of failure which I have become aware of. Carbon fibre wings have an almost porous feel to them in their unfinished undersides, whereas fibreglass wings, although rough to the touch, feel "sealed" and shiney. I have heard of a few failures with fibreglass wings where the gunk has parted company with the wing and I believe this is because the wing should be surgically cleaned (not petrol, which leaves an oily residue) first. The last time I bought a tube of gunk I was given a small plastic container or cleaning solution and a wire wound cotton "dabber" so that I could clean the area first. I think this is necessary on fibreglass.

Another observation is that upon removal of my wingstays (I have had them cut down for a pair of special cf wings) I noted that they were full of water. Upon fitting my new wings I ensured the gunk plugged up the ends.

It is my opinion that you do not need to resort to any special tricks other than using the gunk liberally. You're welcome to inspect mine at any time. I'm in the Midlands.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours