Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Under dash handbrake

paul cardy

I don't know why you want to bother, mines under the dash and I think its a pain in the 🙆🏻 I had to change mine as the button stuck in and it was a pain of a job *mad*, and I never use it any way. on the rare occasions I do I inevitably end up strapped in for the off and then have to unbuckle everything....it makes me seethe 😬

Trotsky N7 HPC

Underdash is a right royal pain in the beautox. Can't tell you the number of times I've driven off with it on, had to unbuckle, can't be used for hill starts, and so on. About as effective as carrying a boat anchor.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

• Area Representative

I don't understand why people are against under-dash handbrakes. I have one on the Seven and an on-the-tunnel in the 21.

I prefer having a clear and lower tunnel. (every time)

Curiously, I use the hand brake on the 21 but almost never on the Seven. *confused*. As others say, it's about convenience, but the Seven has never rolled away!

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

I've got a under-dash handbrake and haven't had any issues.

Yes it's a bit fiddly pulling away on a hill so I simply loosen one side of the harness so I can lean forward.

I like having the tunnel clear, nice armrest when required to use the motorway.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I've always had the handbrake under the dash and never ever use it for anything. I always leave the car in gear instead of using the handbrake when parked. Hill starts are a good intro to heel and toe control.

back here because I want to be.

But it's required for the MOT.
Yup. Beyond that, it only gets exercised when I park on hills (infrequently) or the local petrol station which is on a slope.

Question; are car mfrs allowed to use this design any more?

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

I had to change mine as the button stuck in and it was a pain of a job
Mine does that sometimes, a sharp rap with a small hammer reminds it to behave. Only time I use it is when I stop to open the garage doors when I come home, it's just good enough to hold the car on the 1:100 slope of my drive *rolleyes*

Hi

Thanks for all your comments and offers of information photos etc, Gordon look forward to these with baited breath !!.

My plan is to clean up the cabin with a RIF carbon tunnel cover and i thought the none handbrake version looked best, i can see that the general feeling is a bit like Marmite !

Hill starts are a good intro to heel and toe control.

Just wait until you get the BEC running, Charlie *tongue* *wink*

Two-up around Edinburgh city-centre can be a little trying in my recent BEC experience *smile* Fortunately, the 'bird does have a conventional handbrake (whereas the other 7 does not)

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

BEC conversion going very slowly due to lack of time at the moment. I'm happy to get some practice in yours though :)

I have heard tell of difficult clutch control in BECs, however I have a few years' experience on bikes. Certainly riding a big motorbike requires lots of clutch slipping at relatively high revs around town. Surely it's nothing that can't be solved with plenty of loud pedal and perhaps a spring to increase clutch pedal resistance? We could play around with yours and once we've got it right apply what we've learned to mine 😬 😬

I've still got your dremel, by the way. I'll be around at the weekend working on the expedition vehicle, drop in to pick it up if you like - give me a call first to check we're not on a test-drive though!

back here because I want to be.

Hi - I have a couple of shots of my bike-engined Caterham (currently for sale!), which has the under-dash handbrake and a RiF carbon tunnel top (and gear-lever surround). Handbrake works great for MOT time but is never needed while buckled up. I fitted an additional clutch spring (common mod on the R1) and the clutch is very controllable. I think the tunnel looks soooo much nicer:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Gordon

Thanks for the photos they are just what i needed.

Trevor A

Currently the whole decision to change to this arrangment is dependant on RIF and if thay can supply the tunnel, but if this does happen then i would like to pay you a visit.

Thanks for your offers and help i will post again if i can progress this further.

Paul

Paul

My forward tunnel top is a RiF item. Mine is apparently a race chassis which is slightly longer than std. Is the carbon for effect or replacement as you could possibly"wrap" the existing tunnel top in thin cf sheet, if they are no longer available.

Trevor *cool*

PINK LOUD and PROUD