Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Build - Day 2 : Mixed Results.

spiderlane

Still glowing from the success of Day 1 of the build we embarked on day 2 full of confidence.

Picked up a compressor at Aldi (for 80 quid) and fitted the radiator cowling (which must be put in before the front ARB according to the manual).

However, when fitting the ARB (and despite reading Martyn's warning) we still managed to break one of the ATB ball ends. The fit is impossible by default because of the powdercoat in the cups; we'd cleaned them out with sandpaper, but not enough and when manipulating the first one we heard the ominous "crack" that signalled the disintegration of the ball. I don't have a lathe or the materials (or skill) to make up a replacement part so a new one is on the way from CC (with a spare). Hope to get this done in the week so we can crack on with the engine and gearbox next weekend.

Pics here -> http://gallery.me.com/mark.lane#100162

a) doh!

b) ahh, if you have compressor now, may I recommend one of these? Just the ticket later on in the build. I hate hand riveters, every other rivet I seem to bash or trap some part of my hands. A bag of Cleco fasteners and a tool is a fine luxury, but we do like to have the tool for every job 😬

Martyn

R300GRR SV happy in Dartford until the weekend after passing IVA retest!!!

@Martyn - yep that was the whole reason for the compressor. I remember hating the hand riveter during the last build. Saw the Aldi compressors mentioned on here and went and got one. Does anyone have any opinions on whether this budget one will be too cheap to be any good?

Well it looks like the same pattern as the Clarke one, may even be from the same factory, just without the branding or MM waranty, but then you have distance selling rules on your side if you buy online anyway. Half the price sounds good.

In use, make sure the nozzle allows a nice wobbly fit around the rivet shank. We managed to get ours stuck on a rivet for a good 10 mins by picking a snug fitting nozzle.

Martyn

R300GRR SV happy in Dartford until the weekend after passing IVA retest!!!

Recently fitted a different ARB with new balls to my '97 car. The balls refused to go in despite the cups obviously being well worn in. Unless there are different sizes I am unaware of it would appear that the balls themselves need some fettling as well. I used the old ones in the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note to report back my experiences with the riveter I bought.

This arrived in the week and I set it up today with the Aldi compressor.

Works brilliantly - 1 pull on the trigger to pull the rivet very smoothly and collect the shank in the cap at the back. For £26 (even allowing for delivery) I think it's cracking value.

Seems pretty well made - better quality than I had expected at the price.

Here is a picture of it.

ETA - Picture.

Edited by - spiderlane on 5 Apr 2010 11:42:48