Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A frame bushes

eagle

I have a 1998 VX1600 ( *smile*) and I've heard that the A-frame bushes are a common part for replacement. I have a few questions on this topic...

1) Can anyone confirm if this is true?

2) (Excuse my ignorance here, but) where are they located?

3) If I'm doing a long trip into Europe, will I need to be familiar with them, carry spares, and learn how to replace them?

4) Any other advice would be greatly received!

Cheers,

Andy

1998 VX1600

• Area Representative

A frame is the metal bars which form a triangle and locate the rear axle or de dion tube. Attaches to the chassis at each side of the car and to boittom of de dion or axle in middle.

The A frame bush is a rubber bush fitted to the A frame where it joins the axle or de dion tube.

Is your car live axle or de dion?

If live axle, bush is in 2 pieces and likely to want changing fairly regularly depending on use. Fairly easy to change once you've done it a couple of times.

If de dion - a bit of a pig to change, but more robust and not likely to need changing at all.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Thanks Paul, it's a live axle. Where's the best place to order spares from?

Are there any tell-tale signs to look out for to indicate they require replacing? Is it the sort of thing I should take with me as backup?

1998 VX1600

Cheers Matthew. If you think you're a mechanical numpty, you haven't met me! I'm keen to learn / improve though...

Any recommendations on places to buy spares? What tools are required? I've got 'standard' tools, but no fancy gear (no compressor for example).

1998 VX1600

• Area Representative

Standard tools are fine. Suggest Redline for spares - most helpful - see ad in Low Flying. Bushes are fairly cheap - suggest you buy a couple of sets so that you have spares - p & p will be the same.

Worn bushes will manifest in a "loose" feeling at rear. To check wear simply push/pull the car sideways and see if there is play. Extreme wear will be obvious.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Andy. These bushes are known as Y9 and can be obtained from most motor factors as they are not unique to Caterham but fit a number of classic car suspension systems; they only cost a couple of pounds or so.

I had to replace mine half way through our honeymoon tour of europe (3500 miles). I did mine on a beach, dug a pit as only had the normal jack!!

Really easy job, change them before you go and then they may get you all the way around plus you'll know how to do it.

Beaulieu #28

[finbar saunders mode]

You wore out a bush on your honeymoon... Yonks... Gffaaawwww

[/finbar saunders mode]

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

The rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Edited by - jonboylaw on 9 Mar 2010 22:43:42

If you search the acrchive on here you'll find that various people have described their preferred method for changing these bushes. You will probably find the new bushes need significant compression to fit. My method is to put the car on axle stands, squeeze the new bush(es) either side of mounting point on the A frame with the biggest wrench I can find and try to get the very top of the bushes inside the bracket on the underside of the diff housing. I then raise the A frame with a jack until the bushes slide fully home inside the bracket. I then insert the retaining bolt which may need a little tap with a hammer to centralise the A frame in the bracket. It helps to have 4 hands *wavey*

Good luck!

Changed the rubber bushes too many times in the past (oily motors and leaking diffs) - went over to a spherical joint set-up and have had to replace the bearing (easy) once so far in the 22 years it's been fitted.

....and yes, this is a high mileage car!!

Parts available from Redline.

cheers

david

My chosen method to install these bushes is to compress the two bushes with a long bolt and some penny sized washers then swing the 'A' frame back up so the bushes slide into the fork fitting on the axle, remove the bolt and washers and normally a sharp thump with my hand sees everything more or less back place. 10 minute job.

Gordon.

Morgan LeMans62

Edited by - Whoosh on 11 Mar 2010 09:28:38

Thanks everyone.

Will I need to replace all off the A-frame bushes, or just the central set?

Am I right in thinking the Y9 is the central bush (but will need a nylock nut) and the two outer ones are the Y16 bushes?

Cheers,

Andy

1998 VX1600