Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Paint

ruff seven

I use plastidip paint as it remains flexible and will not chip off and is also UV stable. I think a Litre is about £15 delivered.

Just rub down the chassis tubes with coarse paper, apply the undercoat and then the top coat once thwe UC is tacky (about 2 mins after application). It dries rapidly and leaves a rubberised matt finish.

Plastidip

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

The rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Recently had my axle and diff off my car and whilst i was there refreshed as required. Major work was on the 'A' frame stripping to bare metal and repainting with POR15. Delighted with the finish, paints tough as ole boots and in my opinion just as good as a powder coat.

Gordon.

Morgan LeMans62

Just a tip if buying POR15 - you should consider buying it in the small tins, since there is less wastage if you manage to permanently bond the lid onto the tin, which is easier to do than you may imagine.

POR15 does have a glossier appearance than original powder coat, but for me that doesn't matter. I think they do a top coat for it which protects from UV and also has a duller finish which looks more like the original powder coat if that is important to you.

Cheers,

John

if you manage to permanently bond the lid onto the tin

The easy solution is to take off the lid, tear off around six 50mm lengths of masking tape and carefully mask the top of the tin [making a kind of hexagon shape]. When you've finished painting, remove the tape and you have a perfectly clean tin to put the lid back on to *wink* It is worth putting some cling film over, just in case.

• Area Representative

If you want to get close to the original powercoat finish then by all means use POR-15 on the initial rusted surface but this dries to a very glossy finish which maybe fine for chassis tubes under the car and out of sight but does show up somewhat if you are treating some places in the cockpit or under the bonnet.

Spray over the POR-15 with Halfords satin black as this is meant to be a very close match to the powdercoat finish and certainly covers the gloss shine and is less noticeable.

HTH

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

• 4 weeks later...