Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alterpower?

Red SLR

They can probably provide some 'proof' that at some point in time on some engine at some point of the rev range in a particular set of circumstances a 5bhp gain was recorded. But as Peter intimates, they're probably not what they're cracked up to be.

I've seen the sums somewhere which show how much power the alternator is likely to soak up when you've got all your lights, heated screens, fans etc switched on and it's small enough not worry about.

Mike

Simon

I too looked at this unit. The claims look impressive but I figure you don't get something for nothing & if it was that easy everyone would be doing it! It is supposed to cut in (or should that be out?) at approx. 4000RPM. I reckon it's only worth about 3BHP, but my quote for a unit was 120 UK pounds. Maybe yours was a gold plated version. Reckon the electric water pump mod is a better bet!

Jason K has an "Altpower" unit on his R500. It is set to cut in only when the throttle barrels are fully open. Still, if you're suffering a lack of horsepower like Jason ha ha (jealous laugh!!!).

Thanks!

The price came from Van Aaken Developments.

All my ideas for the engine will not really be put into play until next winter I suspect as my Superlight is only 3 weeks old! (nearly done 1000 miles though!)

My plan at the moment is to get a throttle body conv done next Winter.

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT