Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Broken water rail brackets on Sigma

tomward

I am in the process of sevicing the car for the spring and discovered that both brackets that attach the alloy water rail to the inlet manifold and block have snapped off.

Has anyone else seen this occur ? 2 years old now so no warrenty left, I can take it work and get it welded but wondered if there is a history of this fault.

any comments gratefully received

I also had this problem with our Sigma 7. CC replaced it and it broke again.

CC have known about this problem for at least two years and yet it still persists...no surprise there then.

In the end I had it remaid by someone who knew what he was doing, after having done quite a few miles with it held in place by heavy duty cable ties.

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7

I never have been near a Sigma but if the water rail brakes it surely has to much stress, beefing this up may result in a faillure in another spot unless it's not good engeneerd. A pic would be helpfull.

If there is a bit of space, mount it onto small rubber bobins, they are easy'er and cheaper to replace.

it's not good engeneerd

that's exactly the reason for failure. The ali pipe has two brackets 'tacked on' and they fail. The one in the CC picture looks as though they have replaced the forward most bracket with a threaded boss and this is an improvement, but the rear most bracket is nearly always the first to fail.

I agree with you Ian, I could never understand why there is a solid pipe there in the first place.

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7

Water rail on my Duratec R400 had same problem and had to be replaced when just over a year old (out of guarantee 😔) If I had known it was a common failure, might have got back to CC. Rear wheel bearing went at same time *eek* and had to be replaced.

Dick

Superlight SV Duratec R400 Arch Inside 😬

Mine hasn't broken (yet *rolleyes*) but the car has now devloped an intermitent "K click"

When it fails you can hear the starter solenoid click & then nothing. Release the button & push again & more often than not it starts instantly *confused*

Electrical connections to starter motor seem clean & tight, as do all earth connections. I suppose I could disconnect them all & shine them up & reconnect. I'm sure the battery is ok & it's always hooked up to a conditioner. Just hope it's not the starter motor on the way out *mad*

Unlike on the K series the starter motor on the sigma is on the cool side of the engine so I assume it's not heat related. Any ideas? *confused*

Thanks Ian *thumbup* Electrolyte levels checked & topped up a few weeks ago, so I'll have a look at the electrics sometime. Did you ever to get to the bottom of the starting problem with your VVC?

Edited by - Martin Jeffrey on 5 Mar 2010 22:48:36

• 6 years later...