Click here if you are having website access problems ×

215 Khumo usage

skydragon

Quick question for those who experience using Khumo V70 215's.

I know this will vary from car to car... but what starting technique do you use?

I'm using 215's all round, a Titan LSD and approx 185bhp out of a 1.6 K-series. (Last year using A539's and 120bhp i used to rev to 4k and drop the clutch, feathering the accelerator after moving off the line to reduce wheelspin. This went pretty well, with faster 64 foot times than some much more powerful cars.

I've just fitted a set of 215's for the first time and want to get the best starts but without frying my clutch, etc.

1.6 K Series EU3, 2003, with DVA K05 and a few other goodies...

website here

Get the needle pointing at 8k, screem like a sheep when its seen a pair of wellington boots, drop the clutch and hang on
LOL 😬 😬

Are you going to sponsor my clutch replacements this year then Dai? *smile*

Reminds me of something I read about David Purley (of 1970's F1 fame). Apparantly he used to terrify himself so much at times when driving F1, that in order to clear his mind and concentrate, during the race he used to scream as loudly as he could for five seconds. 😬

Not sure I will be that much help as last year I only had 140 bhp (and I am sure I was cleared by the court *smile*)

I should also say that I haven't troubled the records with the fastest starts - but even with only 140 bhp - dropping the clutch, even on super softs, just ends up in going nowhere with loads of wheelspin. Most start lines have very little grip with cold tyres. I try to feed the revs and clutch in at the same time to minimise wheelspin and I have a feeling that often a short shift is better after the start. In the wet - dropping the clutch will just be embarassing *redface*

it wil be interesting to see what happens with 190 bhp 😬

Mike

ok so it is not much of a comparison but I found in my busa on 235s that I had to almost get it to stall to get the best 0-60ft and acceleration

anything over tick over was whell spin

maybe somethign to do with my clutch pedal moving about 10mm 😬

• Support Team

I think Mr Snoates may have hit the nail on the head 😳

I am trying to lose some of my advantage in that department in the hope I may make gains in cornering and braking!

My technique used to be: dial up between 2500 and 3000 rpm and bring the clutch pedal up quickly but smoothly (don't sidestep the clutch) and then feed in the power as required. Most times now I don't even do that - the clutch up and throttle down is one smooth combined movement. I have one advantage in that my engine has a fairly mild camshaft profile so power and torque come in low down and have a smooth curve - there is none of the peakyness you might get with say an R500 engine.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing