Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham on Ebay

Klaus

No knowledge of the particular car but it looks good. Cycle wings are easy to replace. Have a close look at the engine bay there appear to be some extras there over a standard super sprint. It obviously gets used by the high mileage, but there again it must be nicely set up and tractable because it gets used.

Replacement Brooklands screen/glass are easy/cheap to get hold of. The areoscreen set up; stanchion mirror, Brooklands is worth few hundred pounds in the state its in now.

good luck bidding - I would

update:

Having recently bought a similar aged Super Sprint I see it has quite a lot of upgrades over what you might reasonably expect to buy of that age Seven and that you would want to fit in your first and subsequent waves of upgradeitis. e.g. FIA roll bar/petty strut, leather seats with headrests, side exhaust, 4in1 exhaust , yokohama tyres, aeroscreen set up, black surround windscreen, Blue print engine with forged pistons, balanced crank, roller rockers, Five speed Gearbox, Momo removable steering wheel, heater, Four pot front brakes, Dry sump.

If you upgraded to these items the bill would be over £4,000 (my guesstimate) maybe £5,000.

Gavin

1988 1700 Supersprint (LA, long cockpit)

Edited by - Clousta on 4 Mar 2010 06:23:41

It is dry sumped :)

Ask what the block is, a 711 or an AX? the AX is certainly more desirable... It has a dry sump which is a big plus. Not sure why he claims it is too small for him as I am 6ft2 and comfortable fit in mine, if a problem then a tillet type seat will give extra inches.

Wings are cheap to replace (2nd hand).

Ask for photos of the lower chassis rails in the engine near the bulkhead. Also the conditions of the engine hoses, when the alternator/battery was changed etc...

Go for it :)

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

The rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Edited by - jonboylaw on 4 Mar 2010 11:52:55

Terryp has been in contact with the seller (see his thread in Wanted section) and he does not appear that helpful. I'd go an look at it if you are serious.

I've got a similar aged 1700SS and agree with the others that it looks a well speced example.

Maybe over 6ft wide ? :)

From the responses given, he did not seem too knowledgable on the car so I assume he aquired it somehow and decided it was not for him.

I think it would make a very good entry level car and will keep a tinkerer happy for a while, all those little things to put right :)

Jonathan

My Flickr

Hello

I did get the chassis number out of him and it is a long cockpit it starts with 5LC

I won't be bidding!

I'm back after an 1984 or older!

Best of luck

Terry

Lotus Elan +2 S130/4

Hopefully Seven Soon!

Edited by - terryp on 5 Mar 2010 08:23:21

Hi Klaus

I have an 'early' DD x/f 1988 vintage.

Here's my view. The top of the FIA bar projects forward compared to the location of the base feet. (If you see what I mean). This would be as for a long cock-pit.

My understanding was that all DDs are long cock-pit

The early DDs have the top of the suspension mounts protruding through the suspention turrets. It's difficult to see from the pic's as they appear to be covered by the boot cover.

An early DD does not have 'movable' pedals Thats is the latter ones have 3 positions to help longer legged drivers.

However I am confident that this would fit someone upto 6 foot tall and maybe 6' '2" (I am 5'8" and have the seat forward about 3-4 inches.)

Richard

Edited by - Richard K on 5 Mar 2010 13:08:23

Looking at the boot cover, it does not have the eyelets for the top of the shock, and the material does not look stretched to accomodate the turrets so it is a reasonable assumption that it is a de-dion version. Hope that helps a bit.

Jonathan

My Flickr

I still think that this a good buy. Its a nice spec. I just showed it to SWMBO who said "Do you want a second one?" *eek* *eek* *eek*

Shocked response from me...." Er we can't really justify a second one.. . Are you serious?"

*wink* *wink* *wink*

its a thought . I day to go. Its still at £5,626

good luck with the bidding

Gavin

Thanks

It's a true pleasure to be member of a forum with so many helpful users.

The auction just ended and it went for £7,688.00, I was not bidding. The seller was very fair to send me some pictures of the car and to me it looked like it needed more than just a little tlc, more like a full rebuild 🙅🏻‍♂️

Anyway thanks - will post my wanted add again *arrowright* here

I was watching but not bidding. The price certainly leapt up in the final minute or so. 😳

My 1988 Seven has considerable 'patina' with just 9,000 miles on the clock and required quite a bit of elbow grease to get it looking good again.

Its a wonderful sunny day but freezing here. I have been stuck inside producing a presentation for work when I should be putting tonneau popper studs on the scuttle before refitting the windscreen and going for a blat.

Gavin

Well I have an '89 dedion, which has two pedal position options and with current 's' type seats I fit comfortably and I am 6'5"!!!

Looks good buy to me and obviously cared for by someone if not the current owner.

Boot cover looks a special made part rather than a caterham one. Bit baggy and is deep sided at the front to get over the damper mounts.

Guy

• 4 weeks later...