Click here if you are having website access problems ×

bending throttle pedal

Stef

The throttle pedal on my 89 de dion crossflow seems to be quite far away from the brake pedal compared to other cars i've sat in.

Darren at Caterham tells me that it is common to bend the pedal to make it nearer the brake.

Has anyone done this? if so, whats the technique?

cheers

It's called cold setting. IE bending with a bit of brute force. Take a mental snapshot of where you need the pedal. Remove offending item from the car & bend to required shape using whatever tools you have available. Refit & make further adjustments in small steps until it's in the correct place.

D.

• Area Representative

Stef

Are you trying to bend sideways or backward and forward?

If you're trying to bring the pedal closer to you or further away from you, you can adjust the cable. If this is not enough - Simply bend it. Take the pedal out (held by a single bolt to a captivated thread in chassis), put in vice and bend the top of the pedal. Use a piece of tube or similar pushed over pedal top to get extra leverage if needed. A bit of trial and error.

If you are bending sideways, again remove pedal and use a vice. Make sure you bend the pedal part though i.e. make sure the top part still pulls straight on the cable.

Shout if you need help.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Thanks all, sounds like it really is as simple as it sounds.

Paul - I was hoping you might answer! I'm trying to bend it sideways, I.e. move across to the left/closer to the brake pedal. It's a decent vice that I've lacking so yes if you fancy letting me use your vice for 20mins one evening then some help would be appreciated.

stef

• Area Representative

Stef

No problems. My vice is available. I'm away on business today and tomorrow. I will be at LADS meeting on Wednesday. I should be around on Thursday and Friday evenings and in the garage rebuilding the 7 most of the weekend.

See you at LADS meet or give me a ring later in the week to arrange.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Hi All,

Sorry for a slight hijack...I am building an R300 at the moment and had to bend the new throttle pedal to get it into a position where it would have enough tension on the cable. After putting it back it is now a bit of an odd shape. In fact it is also bent towards the brake pedal a bit as well - which is a nice side effect as I would also prefer it that way. The potential problem though is that it now misses the throttle pedal stop by quite a way. Is that a problem? Will there now be too much travel? Will it fail the IVA/SVA test?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Martin

Duratec R300 SV build in progress

The potential problem though is that it now misses the throttle pedal stop by quite a way. Is that a problem? Will there now be too much travel? Will it fail the IVA/SVA test?

Irrespective of IVA, having no effective throttle stop will greatly increase the risk/frequency of snapped throttle cables.

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬