Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 seats in a superlight

R500 CYA

Am I incredibly stupid, or just missing something?

I took the bait and bought a pair of seats as advertised in the front of Low Flying, but I can't get the buggers to fit, please help me before my wife finds out I spent 500 GBP on a nice pair of rather snug deck chairs.

Problem 1: Once the runners are attached to the bottom of the seat the front of the runner is happy to meet the appropriate hole, but the rear of the runner is about an inch proud despite sitting my big lardy arse in there.

Problem 2: Even if the runners are married up with the holes, I haven't worked out how to feed the appropriate bolts through the holes in the floor, when I have no access from above.

Problem 3: The whole point of getting these super slim, and rather sexy if that you're that way inclinde, seats, is to give me the extra inch I need to get my lanky frame in. Problem is, the seat appears to be incredible upright, not helping me at all.

Any of you R500 guys had the same problems?

I could wait until the weekend when I'm going to help build my friends R500 and look at his manual, but I'm too impatient and hoping one of you wonder kids can help me out instead.

Cheers impatiently,

Pinky

Pinky, it's me again....about to raise my status as I type...

No.1 do you have a bundle of black discs which should come with the seats.?.these are spacers which sit between the seat and runners to your own adjustment .

No.2 Having attached the seats to the runners feed the bolts from under the car and you can (just) fit the nylocs through the runners to tighten (2 person job unless you're a gorilla).

No. 3 refer to no.1 re spacers ..you can get a nice angle of dangle

Yours the Human R500 Build Manual

John,

You are a marvel, if only I could have a bat phone linked directly to your brain box I could have sorted this problem out ages ago.

Attempt number three to be made Friday.

Out of interest, how did you arrange those black washers. Caterham themselves recommended only a thin one in each corner, but this clearly doesn't work.

Thanks again.

By the way, ever thought of writing an R500 manual? Someone should!

Pinky, you can Email me either on john.richens@lazard.com or jrichensx@aol.com for any further info or here I don't mind.... I would be delighted to

write a build manual but would require a free car from the factory to work on....

Mr Jecks ....whilst you are doing your Christmas shopping in the Big Apple perhaps you can arrange for a free R500 to be delivered.

As far as spacers...I just used a mixture of thick and thin to produce a correct angle which did not stress the seat...cheers JR