Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Ignition switch problems

ray10

My battery went flat over the winter and I have recharged the battery. Now I turn the ignition on, start the car but turning the key off makes no difference - it just keeps running. I have to use the cut out switch to stop it. Also turning cut out switch back on and then turning ignition on - if I turn the ignition off with the key it then stays on. Any ideas? Or is recharging a flat battery nothing to do with it and it is something else? ☹️

Caterham Roadsports B

How about wires shorting on back of ignition switch ? Met someone who had a very early Lotus 7 that had to sleep in it overnight. On waking, he started the engine and the wiring loom caught fire. Turned out be had pushed wires/connectors together on back of switch (with his knees) and caused a short with ignition on.

I have a similar issue, I think

When I turn the ignition off, the engine will keep running for about 30s to a minute until it splutters and die.

Very stange, and I still haven't find out why, but I presume there is an electrical issue somewhere.

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

I would assume that the ignition switch is faulty so it doesn't switch off properly, either by leaving the contacting points physically connected or creating an electric arc, so the current stays on even if the switch is not making a proper contact. The latter could be the issue with Jack's car since it dies eventually.

Cheers

Jouko

HI

Sounds an odd one if in some way the engine running is allowing the alternator or maybe the fan to produce enough power to keep the engine system going going try switching off the engine with side lights and full headlights on. If this kills it quicker then it is some form of regeneration. Has this suddenly started or has it allways been the same??

Hope this helps best of luck

Bob

I'm getting somewhere now - although I have no idea what the problem is. It is something to do with the immobiliser. Previously when I switched on the ignition I had to hold the immobiliser fob on the key ring up behind the switch until it clicked and you could hear the fuel pump start. Now I don't need to do that - in fact I took the fob off the key ring and left it in the house and the car will still start. Any ideas???

Caterham Supersports

There is NO problem with engine running on for 30secs or more on any K it's a std feature of the ECU which had a direct feed NON ign controlled so switching off the ign does not kill the ecu only signals it that You have requested an engine stop It always gets round to doing it but it' s computer and likes to do things it's own way It won't be rushed 😬

jj

MTM , N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary