Give Phil a ring at Road and race *thumbup* *thumbup*

Road & Race Transmissions

The Bullock Shed

Filston Farm

Shoreham, Kent

TN14 5JU

tel: 01959 525105

mobile: 07836 333882

I had the new Titan LSD fitted and very happy with the service from them and does work a treat *thumbup*

here

Look at for an AP Suretrac - I bought one on ebay for £150 and Phill fitted it

I think the Ratio you want is 3.92

I had 3.92 with 1.4ss and 6 speed box and it was great.

I am know a 1.8 with 6 speed and I need 3.62

Hope this helps *wavey*

I doubt you want a 3.92 with an r1! unless you want to keep under 70.

Simon has spotted a rare 3.1 on ebay which is what I think you will need unless an r1 is super high geared compared to blackbirds and busa's.

Then get an lsd put in but sounds like it won't be cheap.

Will

3.62 gives me a top speed of 125mph at 12500 rpm, 3.3(4?) gives me a top speed of 133mph at 12500 rpm. Given how few track days I do, I'm happy to settle for a 3.62 as they're cheaper/easier to get hold of.

My question was really about what kind of LSD was fitted to Sierras, on ebay it's unusual for diff sellers to give a lot of detail, so I wanted to know what I was buying if I bought a 'Sierra 7" LSD' from ebay...

back here because I want to be.

From memory the LS diff fitted to Sierra's was one of the viscous type. At least the one I had was. The joints where the driveshafts enter the diff are also different. The Sierra diff had output flanges & the driveshafts were secured using six bolts. There's a thread somewhere in the ancient scriptures covering this.

D.

Charlie, for your ref my blackbird has a 6th gear of 1.64:1. The final drive is 3.38:1

I run 205/60-13 and this gives about 11 mph per thousand rpm in top. ie 11000 is 121 mph. It's about right. Any higher geared and it would feel abit long i think.

Cheers Neil

Neil 1.64 ? are you sure mate!

My book says 1.042 1.64 sounds more like third!

I might be having a blonde moment due to the white wine but that to me suggests a blackbird at the sprocket is higher geared than an R1

Yours and my old blackbird caterham will easily top out in 6th with 206 60 13s on the back running I thought a 3.1 diff but maybe you are right at 3.34.

W

PS ordered that vest yet?

Neil and Charlie if you are interested.

mmm I'm thinking about this a bit more whilst waiting for a sledging gold medal hopefully.

These are my numpty thoughts post wine :

A blackbird does have a 6th gear ratio of 1.04 However it also has a primary reduction gear of 1.571 which if multiplied together gives your 1.64 :1

By comparison a late model r1 has a 6th gear ratio of 1.269 as charlie says. However an R1 has a primary gear ratio of 1.512 which gives 1.91:1

Therefore at the sprocket 6th in an R1 is lower than 5th in a blackbird.

This might not be an issue due to the higher revving R1 engine but I don't know and my head hurts now.

Will