Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Kumho Ecsta V70A's Principally for Track Days

RoyH

To fit 13 x 6 fronts and 13 x 8 rears on a K Series R500.

Will drive to track day, use them on track, drive back, then fit my CR500s for road use.

What's the experienced view on sizes and compounds?

I'm thinking 175s front and 215s rear. Soft are going to be too soft. so thoughts are either medium/hard or hard/hard.

Or, as per earlier thread, do I go 215's all round?

Edited by - RoyH on 19 Feb 2010 10:16:12

I had (briefly) a set of softs on my car 175 front and 215 rear. Worked well though I had to adjust the ride hight / change rear ARB setting compared to CR500s

They only lasted some 65 miles on the track, but fun it was scaring passengers from take-off...

For road use I'd go for soft, but for track use I'd go for medium.

• Support Team

I have a set of hard compound for trackdays. They work well after a couple of laps to get some heat into them. Some fellow sprinters had used medium and said they went off after a few laps. Your suggested sizes will be fine. Most of us are running wide fronts now for sprinting but they aren't absolutely necessary for trackdays.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Roy

If you wanted to go 215 alround you would need a 7.5" fromt rim and wider cycle wings to cover. I see from the Kumho website that a 185/70VR13 is now available. See Tyre Specifications here..

I am sure Carl has Mel Williams contact number if not a search on the Speed Section will find the information you need. Be warned Kumho do not hold large stocks of these tyres and availability can be a problem.

Mark D

• Area Representative
So............ 175s front or 215s???

215's will need wheels wider than the normal 6 or 6.5 wide wheels. Kumho recomend 8", but most people running 215's are running them on 7.5" split rims wheel. 6.5" MB's (normal front) use a 5" inner and and 1.5" outer. Swapping the outer to a 2.5" gives 7.5".

If you have standard carbon front wings, then they don't cover the tyre very well without refixing the wing a little further out on the wing stays.

So the easy route is to fit 175's on the front!

....... or, alternative point of view........ use your CR500s for trackdays.

Consistent with what you are used to on the road.

Wears them out faster so they don't get too old (compound good for c. 2 yrs)

Benefit from the lightness of your mag rims when it makes most positive effect - ie. when driving in an environment where you can wring all the performance from your car.

Less messing about swapping wheels/tyres.

Cheers

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬