Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil after engine build

Milesk

Just finished building new engine albeit using an old 1.8 mgf VVC engine.

I know I should be using a synthetic 10W 40 oil however I was going to run the engine for a 100 miles and then dump the engine oil.

As I have plenty of semi-synthetic what is the general opinion - is it ok to use it and then go back to Synthetic? *confused*

Definitely boggo mineral...not semi-synth *thumbdown* - I once 'ran in' a newly built engine on semi-synth and when the head was removed about a thousand miles later to investigate excessive oil usage the bores were totally glazed and the head and valves looked like they were from a 70,000 miler - cheap 20/50 for 500 miles is the way to go.

I know modern car engines use fully synth. from the word go on the pretext that modern manufacturing tolerances are so precise, but IMHO they can never be good enough to perfectly match the ring to the bore..that can only be achieved by wear *eek*. Hence the reason why modern engines, at least in my experience, use more oil than you would expect. I reckon the main reason manufacturers use fully synths from the getgo is so they can brag about long service intervals

If the engine is running OE bores and its not been rebored & honed you can fill with the oil that you intend to run for the life of the engine, as Ellie Boon posted.

Modern engines have such a good finish on the bores that it is no longer necessary to go through the process of running in with mineral oil to bed in the rings.

However I choose to run with semi syth for a few hundred miles and then do an oil and filter change just to ensure that any unwanted particles that may be in the engine are removed.

It horrifies me to think of modern cars going for 20,000 miles before the first service.

Rob

Rob *thumbup* Mineral or semi-synth to run in. One reason is it's cheaper! As I suggested above, the first fill is really to flush out any contamination from the build and is in there for only minutes. The next lot for a few hundred miles.

It is still possible to get glazed bores with mineral oil... If the surface finishes are not right and the engine is run in too gently. There have been a coyple of long threads on this on BC before.

Also fully synth is not some miracle-lube which completely stops all wear therefore preventing runing in. Key benefits of fully synth is it's ability to stay in grade under extreme heat and over very long drain intervals.

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬