Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tillett debate

marshall cook

Hi folks,

I am trying to decide between the Tillett Carbon and GRP seat choices. I know there is a weight difference, but the cost difference is considerable also.

Is their a strength/impact or otherwise difference? Looks, etc.With or without Dinamica?

Thanks in advance.

MartyGator

• Area Representative

Black grp ones show the scratches a lot easier and have very rigid sides whereas the carbon kevlar ones don't show marks as much (if at all) and the sides flex slighty to give a snugger fit if you are on the larger side *eek* 😬 If you can justify the cost, I'd go for the carbon kevlar ones

Nick

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

What Nick says *arrowup* and of course the carbon ones look the mutts nuts and weigh 3/10ths of bugger all. I think the seat rails weigh more than the seats. I'm afraid i don't know anything about their crash worthyness.

Edited by - neilg on 16 Feb 2010 15:26:51

Just been through this debate myself. I had the grp ones in my SLR and sure enough they looked "used" after an hour...........I used to somehow collect a kilo of gravel under my bum every outing.........no good for the finish.

So I've gone completely different this time and ordered the Tillet W1 low back seats in carbon, I've specced them with the "back mount" which enables seat to bolt to existing runners........they'll also fit under my existing toneau *thumbup*....waiting for them to arrive as I type.

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo

Put it this way

I met Linds at a track day last year and sat in his car with B4 tillets, a month later they were fitted in my 7.

And a few others who sat in the Seven Speed car that day ordered B4's too

I must speak to Linds about some commission lol

In carbon these tillets are a work of art, used one in my lounge for a weekend 😬

A secret tip is you can mount the caterham seat adjusters to the Tillet seat brackets and fit using the existing holes in the floor *smokin*

Mad Hatter Racing - Feel The Duralight R Torque 😬 Carl *thumbup*

The way I see it is: you can spend £600 a seat on the lightest seat available. It will look the mutts nuts. Or you can spend £350 a seat on the GRP ones, which weigh about 500g more (guess) and spend the £500 left over on driving the car, and go running and lose a kilo *confused*

They all look the same when you're sitting in them *tongue*

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

• Area Representative
They all look the same when you're sitting in them

But they don't feel the same when you are sitting in them...

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

Edited by - Nick Chan on 16 Feb 2010 23:27:36

Nick is 100% right they are totaly different to sit in

Guess its down to your budget

Worth a call to Linds as sometimes there are some carbon second available

Mine were seconds and i could not find a fault anywhere

First class product

Mad Hatter Racing - Feel The Duralight R Torque 😬 Carl *thumbup*

Marshall,

Thank you for typing "crotch", the overuse of "crutch" always makes me think of a strap used to attach a large walking aid to the car.

The crotch straps are usually attached to brackets just above where the floor meets the rear firewall. Do you have them? The standard Luke setup used "cranked A plates" as Luke call them, so that they can be rigidly attached to these brackets, rather than clip on plates that many applications use to attach via eyebolts. If you download the Assembly guide from the CC site you can see how to fit them if the brackets are there.

Martyn

R300GRR SV nearly there!!

• 3 weeks later...

Catastrada

Did you have to remove the rolled edge from the bottom half of the seat to make it narrower or can you specify that from Tillet? Been looking at these and the Tillet site says the rolled edge "can be removed". Not something I fancy doing to a brand new seat at that price!