Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VDU's making a nasty sounding noise.....

Alex Wong1697456877

Posting this here to remind me.

Lift TDC 4 & 1 - 180 thou inlet, 160 thou exhaust

100 deg inlet after TDC

160 deg exhaust before TDC

Idea from QED - check valve springs by pushing on followers. If outer is broken, it will be palpably different.

DaveK, Thanks for your offer of a replacement valve spring - will let you know if it's needed.

Alex

Have you got a fix on the rough location of the rasping noise?

Have you done compression and leak down tests?

On ECR's request....

Oil pump drive?

Water pump?

The scavenge pump drive pulley. Only 3 little bolts there. But you would have checked these when thinking about the crank pulley bolt...

Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated oftenhere

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 16 Aug 2002 20:41:10

Edited by - stevefoster on 16 Aug 2002 20:43:39

Hi Steve,

It appears to be the top half of the engine. The noise doesn't appear to be present until 4000 rpm which is just after a flat spot in the power curve. This makes me suspect a valve spring. The outer one can fail leaving the inner one still functioning, but this apparently can cause valve bounce at higher revs according to ECR. QED concurred with this.

The four primaries sounded the same on auscultation, as did the four inlets which goes against a valve spring and puts a throttle pot problem as the second most likely cause (I think). I haven't checked compression but having experienced a ring/piston failure before, I don't think this is the problem as low rev power is still good and there's no smoke.

The dry sumps belt is running smoothly and although I haven't checked the three little bolts, I don't think this is the cause. I haven't checked the pulley bolt (which has been replaced everytime it's been off) but the noise doesn't seem to be coming from here.

Good luck in your race at Brands!

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 16 Aug 2002 23:19:33

DIAGNOSIS :

Multiple fracture of the outer valve spring for one of the inlet valves for number 1 cylinder.

The head's off & the cam and failed spring are out.

Had a nasty moment when the head for one of the cylinder bolts rounded off! 😳

ECR took a drill, a dremel and a chisel to it and it finally came out. Scary!!! 😳

Oil galleries were then full of swarf so all the valves on the inlet side are out to allow cleaning out.

7 days to the BMMC sprint - VDU needs to be present to defend it's BMMC Seven Club Class crown!!!!!!!!! The clock is ticking.

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.uk

The Caterham Links Page

_________

/ __ __ /

___ _//__T/__/_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ /o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) // /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Edited by - Alex Wong on 17 Aug 2002 19:48:31

Thanks Mav and Dave.

Peter,

What would constitute a proper job?

I think I will fit a new valve (the old one was a little stubborn coming out - it looks straight but it might be a tiny bit bent), new springs and new valve seals for all inlet valves, new cam belt, new head gasket and new head bolts. Is there anything more you think I should do?

Alex

PS - if you meant "am I fitting a new valve straight away or after the Sprint", I'm going to be doing my utmost to get it running for Sunday. You've got to earn that Championship and I have a score to try and settle!!!!! *smile*

Edited by - Alex Wong on 17 Aug 2002 22:14:21