Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VDU's making a nasty sounding noise.....

Alex Wong1697456877

Any ideas? Was having a good old blat down my fave bit of localish road when a strange noise started coming from the engine bay. It's engine speed related, isn't audible at low revs but over about 3500 and it's very obvious. Sounds like a rasping metal on metal sound and follows engine rev speed. Quite loud as it's clearly audible over the engine and is especially noticable if you blip the engine hard and let it fall to idle. It seems to be coming from the engine although it could be from within the bell housing.

Differential diagnosis?

The clutch feels fine and the noise is the same with the clutch engaged or disengaged. The engine feels like it's delivering it's normal quota of horses although obviously I didn't thrash it with that noise. Have looked at the plugs, cams, cam followers and they look fine. Don't think it's the release bearing. Nothing obviously loose in the engine bay.

Any ideas??

Alex had a similar noise with my car it turned out to be the little pin that helps to hold the release arm in place the bit that looks like a drawing pin £1.16 for Ford, every thing worked ok just very noisy, then the starter motor started sticking on starting. You can tell if its a similar set up to my car my grabing hold of the release arm and it will rotate a little as aposed to the normal in and out its an engine out job, I was also lucky it had not damaged the clutch other than a few scratches as it had dissapered round the bellhousing.

Paul.

See My Car Here

Have you checked that all the pulleys are done up tight. Dropping a pulley would be expensive. If you want to check the big ends, set the engine at 90 deg BTDC. Remove spark plugs, rock the crank with a spanner. If a big end has gone, there will be some evident lash in the movement. Your description of the sound doesn't sound like big ends.

so the noise is the same whether the engine is under load or not? and you are still getting the normal number of Luton's finest ponies?

Sounds like an ancillary related thing then. So alternator, exhaust rubbing, lose wotsit all sound plausible. Try doing blips at a standstill (using throttle linkage) and sticking your ear in various places to locate it.

HOOPY

Still no diagnosis.

Highly unlikely - cams, followers, big ends, ancillaries, bent valve, exhaust, inlet/exhaust manifold

Unlikely - release bearing, clutch, injectors

Possible - valve spring, throttle pot, valve timing

I'm hoping that it's the throttle pot resulting in the timing being to be brought back a bit causing the hot running and detonation. The laptop is going up to Lawn Bank Garage this weekend.

☹️

Alex,

Do you have plastic or metal cambelt pullies??? These are a known failure point which has been touched on above.

Also the crank pulley bolt should be replaced every time it is undone according to Swindon as they break. Could be loose or broken?

Also its not unhead of the spigot bearing breaking up!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM site

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here