Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Vauxhall HPC .Confidence booster needed fitting new wheels. Couple of snags. Advice appreciated please.

kenny.

I've got my new wheels and before going to have tyres fitted have just offered them to the car without rubber.

Fronts no problem, although they just clear the bottom pipe on the "big" brakes by a milimetre *thumbup*

Anyhow, have lads have warned and after trawling the archives the rears are a bit more tricky. It would be a great help and worth a pint at Woodvale if I could have a quick natter with someone to steer me in the right direction *thumbup*..................the problems............

Problem1) Wheels are picking up at rear of dedion.....but I'm nearly certain they're catching on the shim that's sandwiched between dedion ear and rear alloy hub carrier, this shim protrudes about 6mm.wheel turns but is fouling.............hopefully trimming this will suffice, if not a tickle on the ear should suffice.

Problem 2) The rim runs a hairs breath from the drop link of the overhead ARB. I've read about this in the archives. I don't want to spend any more money on the car so changing the set up is not an option.

What does "revesing" the links actually mean? Does it mean you mount them on the inside of the trailing arm?...if so how does it connect neatly to the arm?

On my last HPC which was purely for sprinting I ran with the ARB disconnected..........would I be daft contemplating this again?

Problem 3) The car I've realised is in effect running without an ARB at present. The trailing top arm of the passengers side has broken at the alloy mounting blocks and is just flapping....it's been welded before too.

Should I get another?, Are they easy to still acquire? or should I just take it off completely and job done......................car this time is for virtually 100% road use (maybe one track day)

All help massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo

Problem1) - Use a file sand or angle grinder until you have the necessary clearance. In addition, make sure when the wheels are balanced that the tyre fitter does fit any lead weights on this part of the rim.

Problem 2 & 3) - If you are only going to use the car on the road I would try without the ARB first as it may not be needed. If you find an ARB is required I would replace it as some failures have resulted in the petrol tank being damaged/punctured.

Mark D

Thanks lads......appreciated. *thumbup*

Have one wheel spinning freely now.........it was just the shim, ear needed no fettling.

You are right about the weights too..........it just wouldn't have the clearance looking at it.

I'm just about to dispense with the ARB and see how it goes. Thanks once more.

Only problem now is finding 13" tyres.....having some strange reactions when I'm making calls about them..........giving prices on Toyo 888s seems a no no over the phone, so I'm widening the field of choice.

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo

Hi Kenny,

Well done for just going with it and getting the wheels! (says a man who has just bought a set of 16"'s for some cosmetic experimenting - won't replace the 13's though!)

FWIW my HPC doesn't run with a rear ARB and have no issues with it on the road, think you will find it's quite a popular thing to do on these heavier nosed cars as you previously experienced. Never pushed the car on track mind so don't know how much of a difference it would make.

Re tyres - 888's are the way to go (much better than 048s as are rounder shouldered and have a slightly softer side wall so the car is much less fidgety IMO) though perhaps you could run A021s as a compromise. I got my 888s some time back from Steve at Simply Tyres. Not sure if he is still around. A search on the interent or BC may find something. Think from memory he is based around Northampton but will deliver wherever.

Cheers

David

David *thumbup*.ARB is now in the "parts bin"............It's good to hear your car is behaving well without it too. I suppose I was daft asking the question really because as stated my last HPC ran with its bar disconnected permanantly when its best settings (for me) were found for track purposes.

Martin. and PRS, cheers fellas. I've actually just ordered my tyres....R888 GG from my local tyre man up the road.he reckon he had a struggle but has sorted it.

I suppose I could have got cheaper after going bleary eyed googling but I've paid £85 for the 185s and £101 for the 205s..this includes new valves,fitting and balancing so in all I think it's not too bad..just wish me carbon seats and associated bits would arrive now for my next headache *cry*

Top blokes, thanks again *thumbup*

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo

Cheers Kenny.

Know what you mean. I run 13"s and also the 15" Prisoners (for the touringy stuff) but way back around the early nineties when I was a teenager I saw a red Seven HPC with the gold HPC wheels thrashing some supercars at Goodwood and that is one of the things that cemented my desire for a Seven.

I now have a red HPC and also (soon to be) gold HPC wheels for it too. Just living a little dream...

Glad to hear you are getting sorted with yours *thumbup*

Cheers

David

Kenny, my 7" wheels did catch the de-dion slightly but just a little chamfer with a file gave the clearance needed.

with regard to roll bar, i have had a couple snap as in the picture here

it took my a while to realise that the roll bar was actually traveling upwards to far and touching the chassis where the inertia seat belt lives, this was in effect forcing the rubber bushed end (in the ali block) downward and snapping the bar.this i believe was also caused because the drop links were not short enough, i replaced these with a new design of link that was fully threaded, from cc, this allowed me to shorten the link so the top and bottom were only apart the thickness of the lock nuts. I will add that the weld on the standard bar is pretty crap anyway, there is no weld prep or penatration . I have modded my bar as shown in the pics after the one linked. I do find that the car rolls excessively at the rear without the roll bar when pushing on, i have noticed straight away when they have broken as the car feel wrong.

there would be no room for fitting my drop links the other side of the bar as they just touch the skins now in heavy use as you can see in the piture.

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here

Edited by - k.russell on 16 Feb 2010 19:37:15

Edited by - k.russell on 16 Feb 2010 19:38:53

David, cracking story *thumbup*.....and I can't wait to see the HPC sporting its new gold wheels. Isn't it great when you can achieve a little dream 🥰......send me a pic when it's done please, and good on you mate *thumbup*

Kev, thanks a million for that and for the pic. It's explained quite a few things for me......appreciated *thumbup*

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo