Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Comparible weights of live-axle to De Dion?

cdg

Does anyone know how a De Dion set-up compares to a BMC live axle for weight, all else being equal? I did a search, but couldn't find any actual figures amongst the "for" and "against" discussion!

Many thanks,

Chris.

Edited by - cdg on 13 Aug 2002 15:08:56

Can't help with the live axle figures, but this should cover the de-dion setup.

Sprung mass:-

LSD diff 21.5kg

Rear A frame 2kg

Rear anti. roll bar 1.6kg

Unsprung mass:-

De-dion tube 7.8kg

Drive shafts (pair) 14kg - (or 10kg has the most recent shaft design)

Rear disc & hub 9.2kg

Rear bearing 2.8kg

Rear caliper (Standard) 6.2kg

Rear Ears 1.8kg

Fastenings Rear suspension 3kg

Rear top susp. arm 1kg

Miraz

Of more importance,the live axle transmits more power to the wheels (less mechanical loss) so better performance. If you get the two cars side by side try to push them when out of grear. The live axle car will be a lot easier to roll. This can easily equate to 15BHP, according to Chris Wheeler at The Seven Workshop! Live axle, Kent based engine, aeroscreens - you can't get better!

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

See Eugene here

and

Lotus@Herts here

Although i've got a live axle car I'm not convinced in the theory of increased transmission losses via a de dion set up. You can push an open diffed car easier than an lsd equipped one, even in a straight line if that's what you mean ?

An Ital axle with iron diff nose and standard shafts is probably 5-10 kgs lighter than an English axle with alloy diff nose and h/d shafts i.e. 40 - 45 kgs including drum brakes.

Dave,

BMC diff carriers are alloy. Total weight with a free 4.5 to1 diff (i.e. mine) is only 11.5kg. My axle is very light as it uses Mk1 Mini Cooper discs and calipers, and one side of the axle tube has been shortened to allow an offset diff. and 10" wide wheels.

There's no way it would handle the sort of power your BDG produces ( even though it has Quaife half shafts and Ford planet gears), as the BMC cw/p are made of chocolate! It struggles with 180bhp. I was just being devillish...

Chris.