Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

To bleed or not to bleed

Bio

That is the question 🤔

Just fitted a mechanical oil preassure gauge from Think Automotive and noticed the movement of the needle going up the scale is a little jumpy.

Do you need to bleed the supply pipe to purge it of air to get correct gauge operation 🤔

Great service from Think Auto and 15% off for being a club member *thumbup*

John

Just thinking that if there is a pocket of air in the pipe going to the gauge it may be able to be compressed untill overcomming the internal resistance within the gauege mechanism.

But then if the engine is not run for some days would the oil drain out of the supply pipe untill next time 🤔

A question for these dark cold evenings

John *eek*

It doesn't matter whether there is oil, water, air, or even hydrogen in the oil line. The gauge is set to measure pressure so will measue the pressure of whatever squashes up against the pressure diagphram inside.

So to recap it doesn't matter whether it's gas or liquid in there; bleeding will at best be messy & worst will squirt oil everywhere.

Hi Nigel

Thanks for coming over last weekend. now sorted *thumbup*

Have tried bleeding the line and the gauge is more "Instant" in operation but after a couple of days has reverted back so the oil must drain back ☹️ however this does not cause a problem *smile*

One more job done *thumbup*

John

Hi John,

Slight hijack……..I have been meaning to buy all the bits from Think Auto myself. There appears to be a number of parts combinations which all give the same end result. What list of components did you choose?

-----

Phil

“If you want a place in the sun, you have to expect a few blisters”

Thanks Doug - I appreciate that there is a standard fitting kit which is the basic requirements; however, I’m interested in how different people tackle the job.

I have looked at the kit listed on BC forum and IMHO it is overly complicated and the number of joints required can be reduced. There is also the option of securing the main manifold block or just tie wrapping it somewhere convenient. Some people use braided lines throughout and others use the plastic capillary tube supplied with the gauge.

-----

Phil

“If you want a place in the sun, you have to expect a few blisters”

Hi Phil

Just looking at the bill now...although the T piece will be a differant thread on a K as mine is a VX

TFE3 Hose braided 2.0 meters long

OPG 100 Oil pressure gauge black face 100 PSI

TP7 T piecw 14x1.5 (This will be differant for a K)

E321-3 Fitting that screws into TP7 to take hose TFE3

E332-3 90 Degree fitting to make hose TF3 90 degrees at one end

BPS2-55 Blanking plug for T piece (i did not fit an oil pressure switch)

BSSC-14 Sealing washer for blanking plug

You get 15% off for being a club member

Hope this helps

John

It doesn't matter whether there is oil, water, air, or even hydrogen in the oil line. The gauge is set to measure pressure so will measue the pressure of whatever squashes up against the pressure diagphram inside.
What? The equilibrium pressure sure, but air is very compressible, so it will damp a sudden change in pressure. Oil is virtually incompressible, so bleeding it should reduce the delay.