Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wheel sizes

N Blandin

Hi,I've got a 1990 1700 BDR HPC which was fitted with 16" HPC rims and Michelins by the last owner. It feels a bit over tyred and although it grips well it does not feel ...well you lot know ...right. I notice that since my previous seven life 10 years ago that most rim sizes have gone up , the serious 7's are still running 13" rims. I take it this is to reduce unsprung weight and as my HPC would have been supplied with 13" rims I reckon the set up would be for this size , therefore going up 3" would change the feel as well as the grip levels. I know that I can change the set up to suit but will going back to 13's bring back the elusive feel? Daft, open ended question I know but any thoughts?

P.S I've got loads more daft questions to come

My car is a 1990 VX HPC & when I got it it was running on 5 spoke 16 inch wheels, they look great. Trouble is the car tramlined & felt heavy. I have moved across to 13 inch minilights & yoko 021-r's (185/70), no real reduction in grip, infact probably more, no real difference in the number of things I hit with the sump & much much nicer to drive.

To add to that, it cost less to buy & fit 5 new wheels & tyres than it would have to replace the nasty michelins that were on the car when I got it

Geoff

J392PPD

VX & Flares how untrendy can I be?