Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anyone good at fixing hydraulic rams?

EFA

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your offer, but this will be a long term thing, as there are no mounts for said engine on the chassis. The engine is being lowered to work out their positions then get my chassis man in.

I'm just confused as hell why it will not work. I think its a bleeding problem, but its proving a complete basket case to resolve.

Arnie

I use speedy lifting, formely Lifting Gear Hire for all my hydraulics service and repair work. www.speedyhire.com and type in your postcode for your local branch.

Seal kits generally £50ish and control valves £20 and upwards. Labour normally £40/hour. If your hoist is Machine Mart you may find it cheaper to buy new? Worth the call anyway and they'll probably have a look and tell you what's wrong FOC.

Good luck

Arnie, I had a similar problem with my Clarke 1 tonne crane a few weeks ago. It was useless under load and I couldn't bleed the bloody thing so in the end took the ram off and emptied it out (rubber bung about half way up), dismantled and cleaned the valve assembly at the bottom, refilled with new fluid (Halfords) and after about four or five unloaded ups and downs it fully recovered. The gauze filter and the balls in the valve had some crap which may have been the problem. Also, the fluid was very mucky with grey metal particles in it which may not have helped. If you do take it to bits make careful note of how it comes apart as there is a right and wrong way up for the valve unit to go in. Also watch out for springs and bits that go boing! If you don't have the instructions (assuming its a Clarke) you can download from their website or I can forward them to you.

It took me about half an hour to fix, plus a trip to Halfords for the fluid.

Paul

oops, just re-read the last bit of your post. I'd try to take it apart anyway, can't be that different to the current ones can it?

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 8 Feb 2010 23:36:07

Arnie,

Their is a company near Three Bridges that play with hydraulics... have look in yellow page - I'm afraid I don't know their name.

If you get stuck, give me a shout and I'll try to find out their name from the chap who does my tractors.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Actually Arnie, I don't think it does have any springs in it. There is a gauze filter and a steel cylinder with a ball valve at each end as I recall. I think these work by pressure and/or gravity, but it does have a 'right way up'. If you've got as far as taking it to bits and cleaning it, I'd try refilling it with fresh fluid and trying to bleed it out again. Mine did take a few unloaded ups and downs to bleed out, as I said, but it fully recovered.

The exploded diagram in the manual isn't very helpful but no springs are listed in the ram assembly.

Base CFC301

Ball CFC302

Seal CFC303

Release Valve CFC304

Cylinder CFC305

Washer CFC306

Check Valve Kit CFC307

Seal CFC308

Washer CFC309

Pump Cylinder CFC310

O-Ring CFC311

Cup Seal CFC312

Back-up Ring CFC313

Pump Plunger CFC314

Handle Sleeve Assy CFC315

Link CFC316

Rivet CFC317

Pin CFC318

Clip CFC319

Screw CFC320

Packing CFC321

Reservoir CFC322

Ram CFC323

Retainer CFC325

O-Ring CFC326

Cup Seal CFC329

Cup Washer CFC331

Circlip CFC332

Top Nut CFC333

O-Ring CFC334

Filler Plug CFC335

Handle CFC336

Grip CFC337

I wish we could post pictures on this website!

Paul

Sorry Chris, I should add that I, Angus, Geoff Dixon and the Culmernator all tried bleeding it to the point that we got several eyefuls of fluid.

Its ball bearings and a spring or bust!

Edited by - EFA on 9 Feb 2010 22:45:57