Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA Bar and Std Hood

virden

The article in his months Low Flying reminded me that my shiny pate protudes a couple of inches above the std rollbar. If I were to follow the H&S route and get an FIA bar, would I still be able to use my standard weather gear or will I have to go down the route of a SoftBits half hood? Living in Scotland, one cannot quarantee non-stop sushine when blatting.......only smiles!

The car is a '96 S3.

1996 Super Sprint, live axle with clams

I have fitted a (single diagonal) FIA roll bar for my live axle S3. The hood still fits. The crossbar is further forward than the standard roll bar and you have to ease the front hockey stick over the crossbar. Its doable. Start with standard hood. Having said that I have picked up a s/h SBF7 half hood (for FIA bar) from Slider *cool* which will be much more convenient than the standard hook whichever roll bar is fitted...

Gavin

1988 1700 Supersprint (LA, long cockpit)

Thanks Guys

An alternative solution could be to weld an extension bar onto the top of the standard unit, as seen occassionally on other cars at sprint meetings. Anybody any thoughts on this?

1996 Super Sprint, live axle with clams

• Area Representative

You can weld an extension to the standard roll bar, but it will still be a standard roll bar which is of lighter material than an FIA bar and the hood will probably not fit, so personally I wouldn't bother. Standard bar, even with welded on extension will not be accepted for L7C events.

If you're changing, go for the FIA bar.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Having "toppled" my car a while ago, I would not consider anything short of an FIA bar and have now moved to a full cage for my re-build. The FIA bar is a LOT more solid than the standard, but it still bent considerably forward (no Petty strut fitted) during the accident.

It did it's job, I walked away with not a scratch nor bruise, so ditch the standard one and find a way to fit the weather protection you my need, it is secondary to your head protection.

See here

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

This rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Aaand I'm back to being convinced about my Roadsport cage. It's swings and roundabouts (sorry Jon!) with a cage versus FIA bar, in the end I'm convinced that a cage is better because of those 'worst case' scenarios. Not to say I don't agree with the sentiments in the Low Flying article about wearing a helmet every time you drive your car if you have a cage. I choose to accept the risk of not wearing one on the road.

Apologies if this is a hijack.