Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Water flow through rad and engine

charlie_pank

I need to introduce my new engine to my old K-series radiator, but I need to figure out which way the water flows first. I have found the thermostat housing - still attached to the engine which is a good start.

1. Does the hot water normally go in to the bottom or the top of the radiator?

2. Does the water come in or out of the engine at the thermostat?

3. My engine isn't expecting to supply a heater, but I'm plumbing one in. Where is the right place in the water circuit to put it?

back here because I want to be.

does answering 2 out of 3 count?

(2)Hot comes out of the water rail over the exhaust manifold into the top of the rad.

(2)Cooler(relative to speed of dark) from bottom of Rad into 90 degree host into the thremostat housing and is introduced to the engine.

On (3) that i've seen on the hose going into the top of rad on several cars....

....cooling is not my thing, I am no thermodynamasist but....

Hot water goes to the top of the rad, is cooled across the matrix and cooler water comes out of the bottom. Cooler water sinking.

In the engine water will warm up circulate round the engine and rise until it is hot enough in the engine to open the thermostat, at which point water flows round the cooling system and through the radiator.

On that basis why wouldn't the top of the rad be connected to the thermostat?

Guy

Guy

On that basis why wouldn't the top of the rad be connected to the thermostat?

The K series engine was originally designed for use in urban/town environments with short journeys. This requires a rapid warm up to give better economy and emissions. I understand that putting the thermostat on the inlet side, with the bulb exposed to the secondary circuit, a more rapid warm up can be achieved.

It is debateable whether that is desirable in other applications, such as in a Caterham/MGF/Elise.

QED do a nice (expensive) thermostat housing if one wishes to move it to the top hose.

That is why IT is so important to keep the by pass loop intact whether you have a heater or not and why the Caterham heater valve is a by pass valve keeping the coolant moving It is also why K are so prone to Air lock as the heater cct. is at highest point of cct. and that is where air will collect causing an air lock and rendering useless the by pass cct and with it the possibility of the thermostat ever getting hot water and thus not opening so no main circulation Bottom hose cold bottom of rad cold and cylinder head cooked with subsequent HGF.

😬lecture ends 😬

jj

MTM , N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

1) It's an R1 not a K

2) The thermostat housing is only attached to hoses, so it can be relocated if necessary, however I'd like to first understand how it was intended to work before I go relocating things.

Does (1) above change the answer?

back here because I want to be.

• 1 month later...