Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust wrap

andy couchman

One of the problems with exhaust wrap (as I understand it) is that the tape can absorb water. This can lead to problems with the exhaust pipes underneath.

I read somewhere that the thing to do is paint the tape with high temperature paint once installed.

Question: do you put the tape on and then paint it? Or put the tape on, run the engine to 'cure' it (lots of smoke *smokin*) than take the pipes off and paint it?

Andy

I've had the wrap, unpainted, on my CSR since I built it in 2006 Andy, and whilst I haven't had it off to check the metal underneath, all seems well as far as I can see. Any water that gets onto it [mainly from the hosepipe when washing admittedly], steams off within minutes of the engine starting. If it were to be parked up in the open for any length of time of course, it could be a different matter!

A little tip here, you can buy massively expensive stainless steel 'tie wraps' from the wrap supplier, or you can get the same things at your local builders merchant for substantially less, or just put a few rounds of copper wire around it and twist the ends, it gives that lived in look 😬

Paul J.

Like those who have already commented... I've had my primaries wrapped for six or seven years now.

The important issue, for convenience of clean fitting, is to buy the tape that need to be dampened prior to fitting. This tape can be teased around a corner, which in turn stops the unsightly lumps caused by excesses... as Thomas Rosselle found out last weekend.

Because the tape is damp, it needs to be allowed to dry before spraying it with heat paint.

However, don't make a shopping trip your first outing in the car, as once the painted wrap has been fitted it will smoke a fair bit for the first few miles and sitting at a set of traffic lights billowing smoke through the bonnet vents will raise a few eyerbrows.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine