Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

22% Quick Rack

Racing Snake

Roy

Not too long.

1. Unscrew the steering arms from the track rod ends. (This avoids having to get the track rod ends out of the tapers they are in). Make a note of how many turns it takes to remove them as this will help get the steering approx straight.

2. Remove nosecone and radiator bolts as the rack comes out of the front, not through the holes.

3. Undo the steering clamp going into the steering rack.

4. remove 4 bolts holding rack to the car.

5. remove steering rack from the front of the car

6. Adding new rack is reverse of steps 1- 5.

7. When putting clamp on the steering rack from the steering wheel, check it doesn't foul any of the chassis tubes. You may need to rotate the rack slightly to achieve this

8. If you have a widetrack car, you can get a pretty good alignment of the wheels by looking along the edge of the wheels and sighting them on the back wheels (they should be the same width). With a rough setting, you can drive the car to a garage or a friend who can help

It should all take less than an hour - there aren't normally any seized nuts to delay you.

Steve

Well just to say having followed this thread and thought about a quick rack before I collected one from Caterham on Friday and tried it out today.

I was more than a little worried it might be too skittish on the road.

Well those worries were totally unjustified. Its a significant improvement - even on the road. Every Caterham should be fitted with a quick rack.

I took the opportunity to also fit adjustable paltforms. I was very pleasantly surprised how easy these are to adjust and the improved ground clearance they give (if you want it). It is not perfectly flat floored for my weight yet but a lot more balanced than it was before.

The remote stat is on the list for next week when the parts turn up from eBay! *biggrin*