Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rose Jointed Suspension - experiences ?

Chairman Roger

Does anyone have experience of using rose joints in the front suspension, particularly on the upper balljoint and the track rod end ? If it is possible to safely modify the upright to accept these fittings it could make camber adjustment a lot less of a struggle. Breaking the taper on the existing ball joint is usualy a brutal procedure and then reseating the same joint in order to retighten it is sometimes difficult

Admittedly this wouldn't work with your flared wings, but I have in the past:

1. disconnected the track rod from the rod end.

2. disconnected the brake caliper

3. detached the upright from the spherical bearing at the bottom

4. loosened the locknut on the camber adjusting track rod end, and

5. rotated the entire upright to set the camber

This sounds like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut,and then you have to bleed the brakes afterwards.I must be lucky as I've always managed to lever the taper out using a length of wood. On the other hand the steering arm ones presented a problem ,but I put a jack under the loosened nut and tapped the arm cushioning the blows with more wood.

I've seen a one off modification that comprised a blob that fits the taper and takes a Rose joint on top, and then a suitably sized Rose joint to fit the wishbone. This has the advantage that you can adjust the camber in half turns.

I'll take a look at what Clive Kenrick is using this weekend, I think he has something lighter and more elegant.

Paul