Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electrical

caterhamnut

1.6k SS

Last weekend whilst out on a blat, our ignition light came on on the dash board. It had been flashing occasionally but only at near maximum revs. The light came on for about 5-10 mins until we stopped. Car would not restart - not even a click. Car started with jump leads, no problem, light stayed off until we got home, some 80 miles later, using lights and windscreen wipers for part of the journey.

We have replaced (cracked) alternator, and went for another drive. No light, until higher revs, when the light came on and stayed on. Drove home. Now whenever we try, car starts no problem, but the ignition light stays on. Today we tried another battery - same problem. So, having eliminated alternator and battery, any ideas?

Dodgy earth?

Something else?

Ideas appreciated!

😬24,000 miles in 1 year! *cool* *thumbup*

This may sound bizarre but do you have a cut out switch fitted? I had similar problems, ignition light glowing, bad starting etc. fitted a new alternator, new battery already in showing full charge from alternator, all earths ok, even had a sparky look at the charging circuit, all ok. Fitted a new switch and bingo. I had an issue with the ignition switch which was replaced but the old one was ok it was my connections that were wrong.

Let me know cos I did everything else and the new switch cured everything once I had sorted my wrongly wired ignition switch.

During my what is it phase I had to choose between wipers or headlights. Just a glow until additional load was put on

Sounds like an earth problem to me. You need a multimeter and ear defenders so you can test the relevant circuits at revs (etc).

If you can run all the electrics and the car still restarts I wonder if the ignition light itself has a dodgy earth? I think you'd expect it to come on with no current as that's what indicates the charging circuit is working - I have an oil pressure warning light that was glowing for the same reason (exposed contacts, ****e weather).

Could well be talking rubbish though.

You proably have a short to earth in the wire running from the ignition light to the altenator.

The light is connected to the plus 12V and finds earth trough the altenator as soon as the altenator starts turning the voltage generated by the altenator becomes 12 V which puts out the light.

It looks that you have to check the wiring. Wire colour is Brown with a Yellow stripe.

Good luck

Thanks for the hints guys - all is fixed now. The clue was in the symtoms after fitting the 2nd alternator. Turns out I was supplied with dodgy goods by the normally trustworthy PC! The 2nd alternator was even more b*ggered than our intermitantly b*ggered one.

All fixed now with a working alternator.

Only joking Peter - once again, thanks for your time and advice - much appreciated and looking forward to blatting to Wooten Hatch tonight!

😬24,000 miles in 1 year! *cool* *thumbup*