Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Petty strutt fitting

Markiebabes

Hi all

want to try and fit my petty strut and seeking advice 😬

My strutt does not look like it has been drilled 🤔 (bottom part that attaches to inside footwell ) and no footwell hole either ☹️

How easy is this to drill 🤔 stupid question I know *rolleyes* just want to do it right first time 😬

TIA

Mark *wavey*

Penn7's area Stuff

R400 pure fun ( more so with Aero fitted ) Webshots here

Nor drilled - sounds strange?

It is in 2 parts, isn't it?

The fixing in the chassis is behind the inside sideskin, a couple of inches below where the main rail from dash meets the chassis. This is about where the passenger's left thigh would be.

You'll need to drill out a few rivets from the inner sideskin (along the inside of the sill and under the dash) in order to pull the inner skin out and locate the threaded boss.

HTH - Simon

Thanks Simon

no hole drilled in petty strut so not sure how I can drill it ?

The kick panel hole I will need to drill as per your advice *thumbup* cheers

Matt

not thought of that *confused*

will have to look into it but am sure it will as hole in knee panel is just ahead of seat *thumbup*

thanks for the replies will have a propped look at the weekend 😬

Mark *wavey*

Penn7's area Stuff

I fitted one on my car a few weeks ago. My car is much older (1990) but the strut was brand new.

Mine was in two parts and the ends that attach to the chassis and the roll bar were drilled and ready to go. The bit that you do have to drill is the point where the two parts of the strut join together. Arch told me that this is because cars over the years will need a strut of slightly different length (only a mill or so).

I drilled it myself just using my regular drill with a good bit and some cutting paste.

Extra tip or two

You may need to tap the threaded boss to make the bolt go in easially. Don't go too deep with the tap as you'll push it through into the ali side skin.

Also I bought a short bolt which I leave in the boss when I don't have the strut in to stop their being an unsightly hole in the inner side skin

• Support Team

If it's a single diagonal FIA bar you will have difficulty fitting it with a Tillet seat unless you have the seat right back against the bulkhead and tilted back.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

• 1 month later...

Good news Mark, however it won't have the complete racer look untill you ditch the screen for good and have a full cage - its for the best you know *wink* 😶‍🌫️ *smokin* *thumbup*

Now that you have started "proper" driving wht not come on Grants night at Snetterton ?

Did you get my email the other night are the dates any good ?

Dicks

Hi Dicks

yeah but then touring wouldn't be as easy and getting in/out for Fay wouldn't be fun !

was thinking of doing grants evening but can't fit it into my busy schedule *eek*

As to dates still checking with Fay,will shout you Monday if that's ok ?

roll on the summer :-)))

Mark *wavey*

Penn7's area Stuff