Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil Pressure Warning Light

Mike Molloy

The OP gauge on my 2002 Academy car (1.6K, anti-cav tank) has recently started playing up (needle leaping up and down like a thing posessed). I checked the connections, but it seems the sender unit is at fault. As this is supposed to be a race car, I fancy a big bright OP warning light on the dash.

Can anyone advise:

a) Is sender failure (as described) common?

b) Should I expect a reduction in OP when the engine is subjected to track-stress rather than normal road use (running on 5W-40 full synth)? What are the tangible symptoms of oil starvation damage?

c) Will the Caterham warning light kit fit with the anti-cav tank and gauge sender? Any tips on fitting? The sender should be a warranty item.

d) What pressure should a track-use based warning light come on at (for a K-Series)?

Ta.

Mike.

Mike,

Can anyone advise:

a) Is sender failure (as described) common?

Yes, and quick/easy to change. Can even be done without draining. Definitely first thing to try.

b) Should I expect a reduction in OP when the engine is subjected to track-stress rather than normal road use (running on 5W-40 full synth)? What are the tangible symptoms of oil starvation damage?

Pressure will reduce with temperature. So track use will most likely see a drop. My 2001 Academy car when hot at tickover would hover just above the red. Under load expect about 4 bar warm/hot, 5-6 cold.

c) Will the Caterham warning light kit fit with the anti-cav tank and gauge sender? Any tips on fitting? The sender should be a warranty item.

Pass.....

d) What pressure should a track-use based warning light come on at (for a K-Series)?

As c).

Hope that's some help.

ps. Wanna buy a thick std. track front a/r bar. Can't recall the diameter but it's the one with green bushes. IIRC the thiickest permitted for the Academy runners. Can ship if required. Now surplus as I've just sold the car.