Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Filling Gearbox

Graham King

Hi, I have just had my gearbox refreshed by Road and Race. The tell me the box is empty and requires 2 litres of oil. I have the box back in the car and have tried filling it but can get no more than 1/2 litre of oil back in before it dribbles back out the filler hole. The car is up on axle stands so is level. Is their a trick to this that I am missing, like should the the front of the car be raised.

Appreciate any advice from those that have done this before.

Thanks.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

You can unbolt the top of the box, accessing it from the engine bay. Then just pour in what you need and rebolt.

Much easier than mucking around with the filler hole.

Just need to be careful not to drop anything in when you take the top off!

John

If you do remove the top cover there is a crescent shaped bracket attached to it that lines up and engages with the selector mechanism. Don't try to change gear with the lid off!

I use an 18" length of 15mm copper tube with a Yorkshire 90deg elbow on the bottom end and a plastic funnel at the top. Mine has a 1" length of tube coming out of the elbow at 90deg but probably not necessary. Remove the tunnel cover and push the tube down the outside of the box on the driver's side, Unscrew the filler plug and insert the elbow/stub pipe into the hole. Slowly poor oil into the funnel so it goes down the tube into the box. Works a treat.

You should get approx. 1.9 litres in before it overflows. Sounds like you've got an airlock. Whatever method you use don't overfill.

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 29 Jan 2010 10:22:35

Taking the top off and filling works fine.

However - make sure you can see the filling plug (on the left hand side, when sitting in the drivers seat - 1/2-way up the box). You can fill up to this plug.

Are you sure you are using the right fill hole? The one that you can reach easily (near the bottom of the 'box, I think) is a drain hole. The fill/level hole is the one stuck up the side and blocked by a chassis rail :(

Don't over-fill.. The 'box will overheat and/or spew oil everywhere!

I think when really empty, the 'box takes about 1.5 litres.

Just because Phil said it was empty, doesn't mean it was!

HTH - Simon

Edited by - simonpa on 29 Jan 2010 10:24:55

Thanks all for the advice, I have definitely removed the right plug. I am pretty sure the box was basically empty when put back in, it was attached to the engine and tipped at a pretty steep angle on the hoist and no oil ran out.

I will try removing the plate on top of the box and filling that way.

Thanks.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

I've a 22mm hole cut in the right hand side of the passenger footwell directly in-line of the gearbox oil filler plug. The holes serves two uses;-

1. I can fit a 1/2inch square bar with ratchet (in footwell) through the hole into the gearbox filler plug to undo it. Once I fit the plug back in by hand from the engine bay I tighen the same way.

2. I can use a normal plastic oil bottle (type with the clear plastic top that extends out when you first open it) in the passneger footwell and pass the clear top spout through the hole into the gearbox to fill. I have a tray under the car so when I hear oil drip out into the tray I stop pouring 😬.

Once finished I re-fit the rubber blanking grommet to the hole.

Job's a goodun.

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car - Now all shiney and new 😬