Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Panel work (bulk head)

bobt

Hi,

is it possible to replace the horizontal bulk head panel without disturbing the side skins? It looks like this panel tucks under the edges of the sideskins on both sides.

Anybody removed this panel before?

Thanks Rob

If it's the horizontal panel, then it's a bit of a different matter.

The 'table' the ECU, etc., sits on?

I doubt whether many people here have taken that off.

Probably best to give Bruce at Arch Motors a quick call to check...

AFAICR, it goes under the sideskins :(

Why do you want to remove it? Not to fill the heater holes is it?

Cheers - Simon

Edited by - simonpa on 28 Jan 2010 22:24:09

I had this same problem (before a re-skin) with this panel (called the heater tray). I ended up cutting a 1.2mm thick sheet of carbon fibre to size and fixing with rivets and silicone to ensure that it didn't buzz with engine vibration.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - Su77on Se7ener

• Area Representative

Rob

I'm in the midst of this very thing - in fact Ive removed all my panels (all bulkheads, foot wells, floors and panels on transmission tunnel) and had them powder coated.

Don't believe everything you read on here - I (and others) have done the job. The horizontal panel you refer to simply slips under the side skins and can be manipulated to remove without disturbing the side skins. However to remove this panel you have to remove the upright bulkhead panel as the upright panel actually fits in a "folded slot" in the horizontal panel. Further to remove the upright panel you have to remove the scuttle and also remove the steering column including drilling out the 4 large head pop rivets that hold the outer column to the round tube that forms the bottom of the dash.

It's a lot of work.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 29 Jan 2010 00:27:40

So if I understand correctly, the panel only lips under the edge of the side skin and is not riveted or bonded there? If so (thinking out loud here) if I used a 1mm sheet of wet lay carbon (much more flexible than pre-preg) I could or rather might be able to slot one end in first then flex the sheet just enough to push in the other side. It looks like it lips under each side by 15mm. Does this sound feasible? As suggested by Adrian the existing panel could be removed by first carefully cutting in half.

I guess if the sheet won't flex quiet enough I could cut 10mm of the ends of the old Ali panel and slot that in first, a smear of sealant, shorten the carbon panel by 10 mm each end and try again. The lip would only be 5mm each side which should be very easy to flex for. Hmmmm

Rob

• Area Representative

Rob

You understand correctly - the panel does just lip under the side skins and it flexes enough to pull out without having to cut things. It is also be possible to replace again by flexing slightly without any cutting.

As far as replacing with new sheet is concerned, it is NOT a flat sheet. Where it meets the upright bulkhead it is folded to form a channel that the upfight bulkhead slots in i.e. it is not simply a 90 degree butt joint between the horizontal and vertical. A bit difficult to explain, but if you want I can send you a couple of pics to illustrate - send me a blatmail.

An alternative to tidy up the area may be to simply lay a new flat sheet over the entire top of the existing and cut it to butt up to the side skins. This would not be as good as replacing, but a lot less work.

Paul Richards

LADS Website

• Leadership Team

Exactly as Paul said - Don't believe everything you read on here! I did the same job a few years ago and it's "reasonably" straightforward, but I'd suggest you get the old panel out before deciding what material to use to replace it with - I replaced mine with a new aluminium panel but without the heater cut-out. It was following a conversation with RiF that he convinced me it was possible.

The panel (heater tray as HF correctly describes it) is rivetted along the front edge and on the top surface - you can see every rivets clearly, buy you may find it easier if you remove the battery tray to gain some access. I think (although I stand to be corrected) I also had to to remove the steering column upper section and steering column tube - this is located at the dash end with 4 very big rivets - I had Caterham send me replacements. With all the rivets out you need to slice through the bonding sealant underneath, accessed from the footwells, it's a bit of a pain but it will gradually work loose! The good news is that the panel (certainly in my experience) only fits under the side skin panel for around 10mm therefore it doesn't need too much movement and bending to release it.

I'm not sure how much you're planning to do, I removed all the interior panels from the passenger footbox to the rear bulkhead and had everything powder coated (drivers footbox is for another day because it can only really be done properly with the engine out). I did replace various panels because of war-wounds! There's some pictures of mine on my webby here, here and here.

Talking to Paul this week it would seem he's going even further and has taken the whole car apart, but the task you're considering is pretty simple.

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Edited by - sforshaw on 29 Jan 2010 07:26:00

Thanks stu, I'm certainly going to give this a go now. The car is very much in bits for its winter refurb/checkover and engine refresh so have no quarms in removing more. The scuttle etc has come of many times and needs to come off again as I'm also relocating the Emerald under the dash.

thanks for your help chaps *wink*

Rob

edited to say: Stu, just looked at your pics. Mine is No 125 and same colour and currently in as many bits 😬

Edited by - bobt on 29 Jan 2010 10:01:20

• Area Representative

Adrian --- *thumbup*

We all contribute on these threads and try to give advice to help/advice to others to the best of our ability/knowledge.

Good of you to acknowledge that you were incorrect. It's only because I'm in the midst of doing the job that I can speak with a little authority. Ask me next year and I'll have forgotten all about it!! 😬

Go for it Rob.

Paul Richards

LADS Website

• Area Representative

I think I could learn from that also 😬.

My blast post was after spending the aftenoon and evening in the pub - belated works Christmas meal!!

Paul Richards

LADS Website

• 2 months later...

Strange, when I talked to the guys at Arch in 2007 or 2008 they explained to me that it could be done.

They just adviced to cut a small piece of the new plate at both ends to make it easier to slip it under the side skin.

I have a new plate but can' t find the time to get on the job. Anyway now I am reassured that it has been done by others.

Jack Flash