Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anyone got any bright ideas on getting oil out of carpet?

I reply to every thread

Managed to get used engine oil all over the carpet in the boot of my Honda CRX yesterday. It stinks.

Ideas on removal please. It's been through the washing machine 3 times but still pongs of petrol distillates. I think the washing machine is out as an option now as I'm fairly unpopular already!

I was thinking of turning the Karcher loose on it tonight? Steam cleaning?

Matthew,

My turn to be of assistance?

I have had considerable success with Comma's Manista Hand Cleanser but have only used it before washing not after. Use a good small scrubbing brush then leave for 10 minutes and wash out. Even it if doesn't work at least it will smell better than oil.

P S. since I sent letter 3 weeks ago have heard nothing, no news is good news?

Regards

Tony

Always found decent application of Swarfega worked into oil and then washed worked well - not too sure about after its already been washed.

Got similar but nicer smelling problem - expensive can of Agip Racing fell over and leaked into boot carpet and a black fleece in my Integrale while parked up near the London Eye (rather good by the way!) - swarfega shifted oil from fleece but my boot carpet is bolted, glued and clipped in - not found enough time to get it out yet.

Bri

Once had to remove 2 gallons of white emulsion from the back seat,carpets,trims,rooflining,windows,headrests,parcelshelf of a mates Astra. He had just been down to B&Q and then had to do an emergency stop ! Took about 5 hours and a hot water pressure washer.

As Oily says jizer and a hot water washer, although extreme should do the trick

A lot of clothes detergents have a very effective oil digester as part of their chemical makeup but you need to give it time to work. Worth a go before you spend money on other stuff.

Ade

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent