Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series starter motor

Dannyboy

Anyone have any idea if the stater for a 1.4k series (93 vintage) Is Caterham specific or can I match one? Mine has dies, possibly clutch in the motor, and I am looking to replace/ repair..

Went to motor factors, we couldn't actually match the starter. Anyone any ideas?? Or is it the £225 and 1 week wait, ie rip off and keep car off road as long as possible that Caterham Cars spares tend to be?

Dannyboy

Help... had to drive a normal car today... was like a bloody boat, no brakes, ships tiller and equivalent handling.... I don't mind getting cold and wet, I just want her back!!

*tongue* he's a cheesy geezer *tongue*

Danny, I cooked mine and bought a fresh one from Redline Components, only trouble was it wouldn't play when hot. Leave it 15 minutes and off we would go again.

It did this when visiting Redline and they kindly replaced (even doing the fitting whilst I waited) it with another starter but the problems, though less were still there.

Finally, returned to Redline Component to collect the original cooked motor from their rubbish pile, dropped it off at the local rewind workshop and had it back the next day for £45 - and it works fine. *thumbup*

JH

Edited by - John Howe on 13 Aug 2002 15:43:35

The Caterham K series starter motor has been revised, it is smaller in order to give a little breathing space between the number 4 primary and the starter motor, and hopefully stop it cooking.

To be extra sure I have wrapped the exhausts and made up an aluminium shield which sits over the starter motor. So far so good.

Nick