Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help, Roll cage bold siezed

Petrolhead

• Area Representative

Hi PH,

To make things easy and to put a lot of upwards force on the socket and minimise bolt damage, I used a trolley jack with a piece of wood to push the socket home, leant on the back of the car to stop the chassis lifting and then you can easily turn the socket wrench with minimal effort.

HTH

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

Often a standard socket 'tube' doesn't have a truly flat face, the edge can be a bit radiused, so if you can either turn or grind or file the face flat you might get a bit more useful socket depth onto the bolt head. Nick's jacking idea will help to ensure that the socket is square on the bolt head.

Otherwise, taking the wing off will help with access. There's a small riveted panel that can be removed that exposes the rear ARB fixings but I can't remember whether this gets you any closer to the bolt head.

Best of luck.

Paul

PlusGas is better than WD40 for releasing seized bolts.

edit: if you can't turn it with a socket, can you get enough access to use a cold chisel and hammer to try and rotate the head. I had to resort to this with one of the thin-headed bolts on a rear brake disc.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 23 Jan 2010 15:36:03

Try a six point socket, with the nose ground down as suggested *arrowup*

Give it a good soak in +gas, a good blow with a hammer and then try and undo it.

If you have an air impact wrench, this may be the tool of choice for this job.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

The panel I was referring to is accessible with the wing off but, as I said, I'm not sure it gets you to the bolt head.

There's another curved panel in the boot that you might be able to remove that may also get you closer. If you're going to have to drill it out or chisel the top off you'd better be able to see what you're doing. I'd certainly try the 6 point flat faced socket before getting more drastic.

You might also try some heat on the bottom of the roll cage where the bolt goes in. Hot air gun rather than flame given the proximity of the tank 😳. Might damage the powder coat though if it gets too hot. Sustained heat can sometimes do the trick so long as the thread's not crossed (unlikely).

Peter

When you've tried all the above (and I hope they resolve it) the last resort is to drill the head off with a big drill bit. Needs to be at least as big as the bolt diamter 5/16" and bigger, say 10mm or 12mm is better.

Once the cage is off you may find you still can't get the tread out of the boss.

You can get a new boss made on a lathe. Copy the dimensions and get a 1/4" chamfer put on the end of it to go to the cage. Drill and tap 5/16UNF (IIRC). The chamfer is the V groove to take weld. Saw the old boss off flush with the spreader plate at the foot of the cage. MIG weld the new boss on in the same position as old one. Clean up with wire brush/ file. Repaint with Hammerite Smooth Satin black (excellent match to powdercoat). You will find the heat from the welding hardly even touches the powdercoat visible at the topside of the bar so cosmetically this paint repair is good. It's the plate which peels most but they are quite often rusty anyway. In extremis, if fussy, the whole bar could be re-powder coated.

Reassemble with loads of Waxoyl. I don't think leaving this bolt out is a very good idea if you think about what's holding the bar to the structure of the saceframe.

Good luck

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

Ian, I had your old tall cage blasted and powder coated and feel a lot safer with it fitted, especially when I speared off into the trees at Saint Goueno last year. It gives extra protection from tree branches etc as well as from a roll over. With the lowered floor my helmet top is the requisite 50mm below the roll cage. A bit of a struggle for an old bloke to get in and out though.

When I bought my FIA roll over bar from CC it came without the bolts and I had to ask for them. They're high tensile so I doubt chiselling is an option.

Paul